Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which electric fuel pump??

wet77
    I am building a new motor for my eliminator and am going to use an electric fuel pump, I have used the Holley (blue) pumps before with the pressure reg.
    My ? is if I plan to run nitrous in the future on this new motor which pump would be a safe bet to go with?
    I do not need the most expensive top of the line just a good reliable electric pump.
    Thanks guys

My preference is Mallory for the money. I'll never use another Holley, too many failures.

Amen Rex. Leakin so and so's too. I've got two of em and they both leak from the plate. One of em did it since the day I took it out of the box. Fortuantely I only use it for nitrous so it only runs for 15 seconds at a time, the motor's on a mechanical pump.
    Oh yeah, I use the other electric as an oil change pump. It works pretty good for that and even if it does crap out, I'll be in my garage and not in the middle of the lake.

Beautiful Noise
    I only run the Holley Blue electric Pump and i've had it on the boat for 28 years, I've replaced the cap once and the bottom once and it still works great

HotRod Sprint
    Originally posted by Beautiful Noise
    I only run the Holley Blue electric Pump and i've had it on the boat for 28 years, I've replaced the cap once and the bottom once and it still works great
    Damn Steve, where you been hidin, haven't seen you on in a while. Oh ya, I'll be running a holley blue with my Gen V.
    Rod

moneysucker
    I am glad to hear the firm Aeromotive! I just ordered one for the new motor. The old holley will go in the other boat or as an oil change pump. I like that idea I always used a drill pump.
    Cy

Product Engineering Fuel pumps.
    http://productengr.com/images/Produc...%20web%20a.jpg
    After youve bought two holleys or whatever Jeg's has on special, you could have bought one of these and not had any down time.
    Also has a 2 year parts and labor warranty.

quiet riot
    My ? is if I plan to run nitrous in the future on this new motor which pump would be a safe bet to go with?
    How much n2o are you planning on using? How much fuel will the motor require?
    If you are planning on using more than a 150 shot of n2o you should go with a seperate fuel pump for the n2o system to keep the pressure right for the motor when not running n2o and also have the right pressure for the n2o side when its activated. You could use a good fuel pump and dual outlet regulator and have a return line to the tank if you don't want to run 2 fuel pumps, but then you're talking some $$ for the good pump and good regulator also.
    If you don't plan to run a lot of n2o just find a pump that will feed the hp requirements of the motor + the n2o system and about a 50-100 hp flow of fuel safety margin.
    I run a second fuel system for my n2o (250hp shot.) I have an 8 gallon tank that I put high octane gas in for the n2o system. I use a carter marine fuel pump that is followed by a pressure cut-out switch for the n2o fuel delivery. The carter fuel pump will draw fuel up to a 15 ft height so it can be mounted anywhere (unlike holley and many others that have to be mounted below the fuel level and close to the tank because they don't pull well.) The stock carter marine pump (omc, volvo, and several others used this carter pump) will feed 400hp worth of fuel at 6 psi so it will cover most n2o hp levels and doesn't need a regulator. I turn the carter pump on with a relay that is on the n2o arming circuit so it only runs when the n2o system is armed.
    The 2 fuel systems is really nice if you want to run much n2o. In addition to the above mentioned, you can fill your regular gas tank up with the lowest octane that the motor requires. Then you put good gas in the n2o fuel system tank. If you run the n2o system at a low hp level (150 hp n2o boost) then the mix of the gas will keep the octane right. When I jet the n2o system for more power then I switch the motor's fuel pump over to good gas also and then I have the octane required for higher n2o boost. This way I don't have to mix gas or put expensive gas in the main fuel tank that gets used 99% of the time when not using the n2o.
    This has worked for me for many years on mild engines running a lot of n2o and I have never had a problem with it. N2o can be very reliable when used this way (add a timing retard if ya run high hp n2o also.) It also makes for very consistant hp regardless of air conditions because you have your own O2 in the bottle.
    Just some food for thought on fuel delivery.
    jd

wet77
    The motor I plan to build should be around 500hp and the nos will be no more than 150hp boost
    I was looking at the mallory pumps that rex mentioned thats about the price range I would like to stay in.
    with that type of HP and a 850 double pumper what type of pressure should I start at?

Pressure should be kept to around 7psi to avoid forcing the needle off it's seat and flooding over. Some carbs will hold slightly more but 7 is very adequate as long as you have good pump and plumbing flow. You may see fuel pressure drop a pound or two at full throttle. That's pretty normal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast