Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ceramic coated header question

atxwrangler
    will they last longer if i run them dry, or run them wet???thanx!!

atxwrangler
    bump

I was gonna do my headers and the powder coat guy I am using say's he coats the inside and of coarse the outside so I really dont think it matters if you run them wet or dry. The only thing that I can gather is that anything is better than chrome . My understanding is that when they are coated they will run a little cooler dry . I cant imagine it will matter how much cooler at those temps.
    -beerjet-

atxwrangler
    thanx, beerjet

HBjet
    You run them wet, the ceramic shine will hold up longer, you run them dry, they get dull looking, but still hold up....
    HBjet

Aluminum Squirt
    I run my coated headers dry full time. They have dulled a little for the first few inches of pipe closest to the head........the same spot that chromes ones turn blue. Maybe I got a crappy ceramic coating, or maybe I'm a little on the lean side. They do stay cooler than my chrome ones did w/no water and the rest of the coating has held up great. They seem to cool off very fast, a few minutes after shut down you can lay a hand accross them-Aluminum Squirt

atxwrangler
    I run my coated headers dry full time. They have dulled a little for the first few inches of pipe closest to the head........the same spot that chromes ones turn blue. Maybe I got a crappy ceramic coating, or maybe I'm a little on the lean side. They do stay cooler than my chrome ones did w/no water and the rest of the coating has held up great. They seem to cool off very fast, a few minutes after shut down you can lay a hand accross them-Aluminum Squirt
    I WOULD LIKE TO RUN THEM DRY IF POSSIBLE,I DON'T CARE IF IT DULLS CLOSE TO THE MOTOR.AS LONG AS MOST OF THE HEADER HAS A SLIGHT SHINE TO IT.HOW LONG HAVE YOU RAN YOURS THAT WAY?

wsuwrhr
    I have the same.
    Brian

RCB19
    I know a few guys that have had the first 6" or so of the primary tubes (inside) coated with copper and it stops the dulling effect. These dudes run em dry most of the time and their headers still look good.

Ive been working with the guys at embee on different coatings, he copper coated the insides of mine this last go round and it definatly held up better.Boat headers take more of a beating than anything, Ive had to re-coat mine every season.
    I highly reccomend embee for header coating, they are good over there and have all sorts of options.
    CS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast