Thread: Need help with Place Diverter

charlie f
    I have an F pump and just purchased a Place Diverter which is designed for the E pump.
    I am being told that I will need to either grind the top of the side to side pivot mount on the Place Diverter slightly or notch the pivot mount on the F bowl similar to the notch on the E bowls so the new Diverter will slip into place.
    Has anyone had any experience with this ?
    Thanks

HalletDave
    Originally posted by charlie f
    I have an F pump and just purchased a Place Diverter which is designed for the E pump.
    I am being told that I will need to either grind the top of the side to side pivot mount on the Place Diverter slightly or notch the pivot mount on the F bowl similar to the notch on the E bowls so the new Diverter will slip into place.
    Thanks
    Never had to deal with that particular issue. Modifications can sometimes turn into disasters though.
    Charlie,
    Call Place or one of the pump experts on the boards and get their advice.
    Good luck

Mohavekid
    I don't think you need to notch the bowl.
    I put a Place Diverter on my E jet which uses a 1 piece bowl, I believe that the F pump used the same 1 piece bowl.
    There was no grinding or notching necessary when I did the install.
    On a 1 piece bowl with a Berkeley Jetovater, some grinding was necessary to get some upward movement on the Jetovater. The Jetovater also required the bowl to be rotated 90 degrees so the steering axis became the jetovater axis.
    Good luck

mgar_red
    Originally posted by charlie f
    .... or notch the pivot mount on the F bowl similar to the notch on the E bowls so the new Diverter will slip into place.
    Thanks
    Nozzle on the E pump turns left/right inside the bowl, where as the F nozzle turns with the gimble ring, which mounts on the outside of the bowl.
    I put a factory trim from an F on my E and had to do the opposite. There's a small area on the inside surface of the bowl, where the pins poke through, that is flat... maybe two inches across. Thats where my original nozzle turned. I was told the F bowls have a full smooth radius, no notch. Filled mine in w/ epoxy to prevent blow-by when full up position.
    If you're gonna grind, maybe better on the Place. If something goes bad with the cutting, at least you can still put your original setup back on and go jettin'.
    A little work on the gimble makes for a really decent tail too.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...1/1176tail.jpg

Mohavekid
    Why not just eliminate the gimbal ring from the F pump and avoid grinding.
    Aren't the bowls from the F and E pump the same?

Originally posted by mgar_red
    If you're gonna grind, maybe better on the Place. If something goes bad with the cutting, at least you can still put your original setup back on and go jettin'.
    I don't know about that idea. That's a pretty pricey piece to be cutting on. Might be a better idea to just find a C/E bowl and save or sell the complete F setup. That way there's no risk of ruining a perfectly good part. C/E bowls should be fairly cheap since everyone seems to want to trade out for a G 2-piece bowl.

Duane HTP
    I have run into this many times. You need to grind a little flat square right around the pin holes in the bowl. This is usually on one of the older Place Diverters. Sometimes we have to do it on the Snoot. When you grind it, just make sure that you don't go in far enough with your grinding that you go past the o-ring travel area. This is kind of hard to explain by writing for me. Send me an email address and I'll send you a picture of what you need to do.