Thread: Getting a couple more MPH

Boozer
    Out of a Mercruiser 4.3 V6
    Aside from the obvious idea of just pulling it and dropping in a V8 what are a few simple things I could do to pick up a few extra MPH. I just ordered a K&N airfilter and am ordering a SS prop for it.
    What else can I do?

396_Z
    1.6 rocker arms.

HP350SC
    Stainless prop....

Moneypitt
    There are a couple of ways to increase top speed in a boat. However the bottom line is more money!! Changing the prop diameter, and/or pitch can add to the top end, but you'll have to give something up in other areas of performance. The same can be said for gearing, (if that is an option in your boat), but again, gains in one area are losses in another. I would look at the boat itself. What could I do to make the boat more "water friendly". Simple movement of cargo weight, battery locations, additions of trim tabs, speed coat paint for the bottom. Have you ever watched your boat run from the beach? How does it ride in the water? There is the old saying that says "Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?"...........I say keep your V6, enjoy the boat for what it was designed for, AND buy a FLATTIE, build the shit out of it and get that speed rush you're looking for. Then when it breaks something, you still have you cruiser to play with while you figure out how to beg, borrow, or steal the money to fix the flat!!!!!!!.....The real world sucks.............Moneypitt

Fiat48
    Amen to that Moneypitt.
    Nobody take this as derogative...but Sonny Jones used to have a saying (and I know he referred to the first boat I had). "You can't make chicken soup out of chicken shit."

Danhercules
    Sell the Bayliner and get another boat!!!
    Put a 75 or 100 shot of NO2 on it.

Moneypitt
    Sell the Bayliner?? You can't sell a Bayliner!!!!!!