Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: BBC oil pumps

victorfb
    Does anybody know where I can buy a detailed or "blueprinted"oil pump for my GenVI 502 motor??
    I've always only used Mellings. Does anybody have any other suggestions?
    thanks, Victor

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    summit

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    moroso makes 3 different ones
    racing 79.99
    blueprinted one is 109.99
    billet cnc is 399.99 I dont think u need this one unless you are a top fueler

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Originally posted by victorfb
    Does anybody know where I can buy a detailed or "blueprinted"oil pump for my GenVI 502 motor??
    I've always only used Mellings. Does anybody have any other suggestions?
    thanks, Victor
    Any good engine shop can do a regular melling one for you. A local boatshop is doing mine for a case of beer

victorfb
    now theres a deal. i gotta talk to my machine shop guy.
    actually, i dont have a machine shop around here that does much High HP stuff. mostly stock stuff, so im not sure he has even done a blueprinting of an oil pump before. might have to go over to the nice guys at Team "C"in bellflower. ive never used thier machine shop, but they do alot of race motors.

Moneypitt
    Buy the detailed or blueprinted one, cheap, when you consider whats at stake. I do my own, but for $109. I may start buying them............It's like shopping price for a heart transplant!!.................................Money pitt
    PS: do a little research into oil pressure requirements, too much just sucks horsepower, too little eats bearings, A good rule is 10 lbs per 1000 RPM hot. (60 @ 6000) is plenty, cold pressure means nothing.......

Fiat48
    Heads up. Just bought the Moroso blueprinted pump from retail store at Summit and can tell you right now the end clearance is too loose. I'll do some pictures and compare this with a Melling and we'll see if it's worth the money.
    Update: Not worth the money in my opinion. End clearance at least .006. The only thing they have done with this pump is the old Jenkins mods of pressure balance. That's o.k. but there no opening of the main passage..in fact there is some slag in this one. Way too much gear clearance also. See pic of gear. Back to Melling for me!
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...74mor1-med.JPG
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...74mor2-med.JPG
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...74mor3-med.JPG
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...74mor4-med.JPG
    I did the pictures so you can see how the grooves are done for the pressure balance mod. Old school.

victorfb
    now you guys are scaring me. how does the average joe know these things. we just get ripped off and pay big time later down the road. sucks. by the way, does anyone know what pump GM uses for thier 502 crate motors? are they worth useing in a jet boat application. the 502 im putting in the boat was run for about 4000 to 5000 miles in my truck. i am installing a new cam, aluminium heads, intake, carb, 10 qt oil pan, msd dist. and into the boat. is it taking a huge chance by running the factory oil pump?

Fiat48
    I didn't mean to scare you. Key word was the "Blueprinted".
    It's common on factory and aftermarket oil pumps to have a little more end play than we would like. I like .001. It helps the pump to prime quicker. The little pressure balance grooves are a mod that was done way back when to help pressure balance the pump gears and help spark scatter (oil pump is actually connected to distributor).
    I add the pressure grooves, get the end clearance down to .001, deburr the gears as needed. And then make sure all the main oil passage is bored o.k. and no slag in it. Then check the pressure relief for smoothness.
    Is the stock oil pump ok? Probably. But we do these things to make the oil pump better. Does it help? Well, end play does help to get it down for sure. The rest, I dunno.
    I suspect Moneypitt also doing this for years. My problem was that the $110 Moroso wasn't up to snuff. So all it was saving me was putting the balance grooves in it. If I gotta work on it..give the plain jane to start with.
    I forgot. One other thing on the Moroso was it rattled like Hell when I spun it. Lot of gear clearance. Never seen that on a Melling. Summit has it back now.
    At least you got pictures of how to do the grooves.

If the engine is in a v-drive the tight end clearance will help increase the suction pressure needed for a long oil pump pick up under hard accelleration.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast