Thread: ROZ, Havasu Hangin, River Bound, stereo gurus....

Ivan Dan
    I have a tech question for you guys. We are adding 2 batteries to the system so we would be running 3 batteries for the stereo and one for the boat.
    Should we run a battery isolator? Do most guys incorporate this into the set up? Do I need an isolator for each battery on the bank of stereo batteries? Feel free to call me on my cell (714) 746-4496.
    Thanks,
    DAN

Havasu Hangin'
    I used to run an isolator...but with that many batteries...your alternator will be working overtime, and probably won't charge any single battery very well.
    The easiest solution is just to run another Perko switch (then wire the two switchs together at the common post). 4 batteries- 4 positions. That way, you can pick and choose which batteries are (not) being used, and which batteries are (not) being charged. I wouldn't charge more than two at a time.
    However...you need to stay sober enough to switch the right batteries on- some guys don't like that responsibility.

Ivan Dan
    Hey HH....give me a call if you can....(714) 528-7117
    THANKS
    DAN

Tom Brown
    Dan,
    When you are talking about 4 batteries, doesn't it make sense to go with less, larger batteries? Shadow has some good things to say about the Lifeline 8d battery. I've never used an 8d (or more than two Optimas) but it's a lead acid battery with a gelling agent, like the Optimas. Perhaps a single 8d will be all you need.
    Battery help (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showth...threadid=44723)

Kilrtoy
    HH only knows about radio waves