Thread: what is my 500 hp worth

dallas
    i have a new 500 hp efi a boat dealer wants to sell it for me and put a 540 bulldog in my boat what is my motor worth 20 hours under warranty still for 8 months thanks tho only thing im keeping is my cmi exhaust

Bahner tunnel
    Your top speed is kind of strange. I was reading a Hot Boats test (Feb. 2001 issue)article recently where a 28' Howard Bullet V that went 74 mph. In another mag , an Eliminator 25' V went 80 with a 500hp. I would have thought a tunnel would be much more efficient than the V hulls when compared with the same power. At any rate, If your looking for more speed , put a procharger or any of the other aftermarket blowers.I have heard of people getting 5-10 mph from this mod.I would think it would be in the $5000 range for this upgrade. Much less than the new motor your looking at not counting the labor cost involed.
    [ October 14, 2002, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: Bahner tunnel ]

mike37
    dallas
    you shold be runing 80+ in that boat with 500hp
    I have heard that the 500hp have had big dif in power from one to another

WILD LAVEY
    dallas what are you looking to get for it? shoot me an email for more details.

Screaming Pete
    Hell look at what they cost new with drive now its about 33000.00 drive being about 5k gimble 1500 and the motot is the rest. 26-27k is its value go from thier and don't give it away because its a sweet motor

mbrown2
    On offshoreonly.com there is an HP500EFI brand new for 21k with or without exhaust from a dealer, so with your hours, yours might be a little less...my .02
    PS: It did not list it in the add if there was a warranty, but if it is new I am assuming there is.

Whipple Charged
    Dallas,
    Why would you go from a 500hp EFI engine to a 540ci 500hp carburated engine? I wouldn't think you would pick up more than 3-4mph for a pretty hefty penny. You should either supercharge that engine or build a custom engine from a quality engine builder.
    You should pick up 15-20mph with a supercharger, if you want to stay NA, build a custom 540 or 572 from somebody like GT Performance, Paul Pfaff Racing Engines, etc. You should also look at whether your going to modify things later when doing whatever your going to do.
    I have a used EFI kit if you are interested, good price.
    With your problem with top MPH, have you ever measured your X dimension versus any others? Sounds to me like your X is lower than some of the others.
    Thanks,
    Dustin