Thread: Puke Tank Question

diggler
    I'm interested in putting a puke tank on as I keep blowing my PCV out (it's billet aluminum and heavy so just a little pressure can knock it out).
    How do you appropriately hook up a puke tank? I have the one end of the hose that would obviously come out of the valve cover grommet, but then where would the return go?
    thanks for the help!

Beal Motorsports
    We run a small IMCO tank and run hoses from the valve covers back to it. It comes with a drain plug also. Plus it matches their Imco fuel tanks.

flat broke
    There is no "return" per say. You would have 1 hose that goes from the valve cover to the tank. then the tank would have a breather on top of it, hopefully with a shield in front of the opening of the breather. So when the engine is running, air from the crank case would go out the breather on the tank, but any oil would fall out of suspension and into the tank, to either roll back down the hose, at a later time when the engine is off, or be drained out of the tank through a petcock/plug.
    If you're blowing PCVs out of valve covers, you might want to check on exactly how much blow by you really have.
    Chris

diggler
    It's a smaller boat (18') so when I hit some good chop, the knocking around will bounce that heavy billet breather right out. It's not the actual pressure of the engine blowing it out.
    Where would be the best place to mount it? It has to be higher than the valve cover right? Would it make sense to put it on the engine itself?
    Thanks for all the information!

Beal Motorsports
    I bought some billet breathers that bolt onto the valve cover and have a hose barb. I used 1 " clear hose. You can see them here in the pic........

CoastGuardSteve
    was kept in the bathroom.
    Steve