Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Banks and boost

78DiMarco
    I rebuilt my 454 Gale Banks Turbo last season. I changed the cam as I had a flat lobe (went to a roller). I originaly sent the cam to Comp Cams to check the specs and they said it was a custom grind that would be expensive to reproduce but offered a pre-spec'd cam for a turbo motor that was close to what I had. I bought it.I'm sorry I don't have the exact numbers at the moment. Anyway my questions is, I used to get about 10 pounds of boost a WOT, I now get about 14 pounds eek! . I had the turbo's checked and they were good and I resealed them. The heads are the same just reworked. The bore ware taken .010 over. Any reason for the higher boost? Or is is just a tigher motor? By the way it was an LS6 to start. I used TRW forged pistons and dropped teh compression from about 8.5 to 1 to about 7.5 to 1
    Thanks, BG

NashvilleBound
    I'm not sure this is the same thing but I ave a 2000 Ford with the Powerstroke. I also have the Banks "Quick Turbo", intercooler, the whole sha-bang. I get @25lbs of boost which is a little lower than the truck got with the B&D chip(31 lbs). But runs much better. I think your 14lbs is weak for turbos. Maybe you need to install the chip too?!?! Hope this helps, NB

superdave013
    78, I bet the new cam has a different lobe center then the one you had before. Do they spool up at the same rpm as before?

565edge
    Most likely your lobe sepratiom is diffrent on the new cam,lets say from a 108 to a 114,with a wider lobe seperation you will pack the cylinders harder.

The cam I had done by Comp was ground on 114 deg. L/S, it will make more boost than a cam not ground for turbo application. Turbo specific cams are not the same as for a naturally asperated or blown engines. Usually longer intake duration, shorter exhaust duration and wider lobe seperation.
    [ October 29, 2002, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: 058 ]

78DiMarco
    013, the turbos come up at about the same RPM as before and I hit about the same max RPM (6K) though I am using a rev limiter now.
    I would tend to agree with the consensus in thinking that the cam change from the original has made the difference.
    I wish I had the original cam to compare as Comp Cams never returned it to me as I requested, twice!
    Thanks everyone!
    [ November 05, 2002, 10:12 AM: Message edited by: 78DiMarco ]

Nubbs
    NB, you have a powerpack for your powerstroke diesel. 78DiMarco has on old marine twin turbo setup from banks. 14 psi boost is quite a bit for a non intercooled gasoline motor.

Nubbs
    Your engine spark timing will also play a role in the boost you're making. As a general rule, for a given cam, more timing will give less boost and less timing will give more boost. Keep in mind timing also affects engine power. Timing adjusted for maximum boost may not give maximum power, meaning more boost doesn't necessarily mean more power. Timing should be adjusted to make maximum power not maximum boost. I guess I kind of ended up on a tangent here. I hope this helps.

78DiMarco
    Nubbs, thanks for the input. I do have the larger Stage II intercooler that Banks offered back in the 70's.
    The timing is set at 30 degree's fully advanced now. If I understand what you are saying it sounds like I may advance the timing a bit and the boost may drop a little, is this correct?
    BG

schiada96
    78 DiMarco we should meet. Lots of people in the T.O./ N.P. area have twin turbo crap.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast