Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Polishing Aluminum

Cole Sanger
    I am sure that this has been talked about over and over, but I couldn't find a thread on it.
    I want to polish my dual high rise intake manifold. I found someone's website that said to sand it down starting with rough grit and slowly moving down to more fine grit. Then once it is smooth to take it to the polishing wheel.
    My question to everyone is what is the correct route to take, step by step please?
    A second question is should I just take it somewhere and get it done? What should I expect to pay for the job, and is there somewhere in Phoenix that someone can recommend?
    Third would be is there a reason no one jet hot coats their manifolds? I have not had anything jet hot coated before. I was wondering if the jet hot coating would dissapate heat and keep the intake cool, or just the opposite and keep it hot?

Wet Dream
    As far as the polishing goes, it all starts with sanding down the rough cast. I started my pump with a bead blast to get all the primer off. The it was a series of wire wheels on the drill. Start with a coarse then medium, then fine. Then you begin to hand sand with about a 220. Then 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1600. Then if you have fingers left, you go to the buffing wheel. Start with the orange wheel and the brown bar, then green wheel/ green bar, then white wheel/ white bar. Then finally you get to put the final hand polish on. And you continue to polish for the life of the piece. After all is said and done, you really wonder if all that crap was worth doing it yourself.
    From a rough cast to polished intake, CP Performance charges $250 on the tunnels.

victorfb
    the series of sanding is correct. then polish with a cutting rouge, then a soft wheel with polishing rouge. it very messy and it takes patience (spelling?) what grit sand paper will depend on how rough the finish is to begine with. the cutting rouge will cut the scratches from a 400 grit paper no problem. if your not set up to do the job (tools ect.) i would definatly take it have it done. id say about $225 give or take a few. the tools and and supplies will cost you.
    hot coating the intake is starting to be more common. as a matter of fact. i just picked up an intake from a good friend that has allready been hot coated. it looks awsome and will save alot of up keep polishing. i love the idea. dont think it will help keep it cooler or anything, but if so thats just another plus. the only thing i can see about coating it that may be a concern is the fact that my intake was coated inside the ports/runners aswell. im not sure if the coating flakes off at all, but if so, then i would be getting those flakes into the combustion chamber. i would have had them seal off the inside and not coat that area. but hey. i am not complaining. the price was right. (thanks Todd) i would have no problem coating another one. i think its a great idea. exhaust aswell. headers or mainfolds. good luck.

Cole Sanger
    On the jet hot coat topic, do you first need to polish the intake before the jet hot is done? I know when people get their headers done, they are already smooth. My intake has the rough finish now.

victorfb
    sanding it first definatly helps. but the coating will cover quite a bit

wet77
    Just an idea I am cleaning up my rail kit and then putting clear coat over the top.
    I like a shiny finish but cleaning every time out gets old so this way I just wipe it down with a rag and some windex
    Turns an hour job into 5 min

victorfb
    its a great idea, and very common. the only problem with clear coating is that it hates petrolium products and sunlight. but id still do it.

Just take it to a polishing shop..TRUST ME

Cole Sanger
    Yeah, I am thinking about taking it somewhere too. It is going to take a while. If I get to the point where I need it done I will just take it. Right now the engine is at the shop getting decked, so I am in no big hurry. Any prep that I do to it is less in labor I would have to pay a shop. I was thinking of hiring an illegal to do it for me. Probably take a day for him and come out better than a shop anyway. I have never done that, but I know a lot of people that have had them come and do some really great work. Probably the same thing most shops do anyway. I just can't see paying $250 for it. Atleast not when I have the time. It's a different story when I need it done right away though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast