Thread: high volume oil pump (need help)

haysonj
    :rollside: What is the purpose of going to a high volume oil pump and at what point should you change from stock I have a 6.2 MX with a procharger running 5psi boost have a dooley 9 quart oil pan and Imco exhust. any recomendations on brand and should it be blueprinted Thanks for any input

Moneypitt
    What is it?.......MP

SmokinLowriderSS
    Figures out to be a 383-something. Likely a 383 Chevy "stock" engine with added Procharger & pan?
    What are your oil pressures & temps running at durring/after a hard run flat-out?

haysonj
    Its a 2003 6.2 mx mpi bored 30 over with je custom blower pistons I havnt run the moter yet but the stock pump Idled at 45psi and went to about 65 at 5000 rpm we burned a piston and think it may have been due to lack of oil thats why i added the oil pan and will probably go to a high volume pump the procharger system changes the temp thermastat to 120 degrees so the engine stays cool but the cylinder temp had to go way up to burn the stock piston This is the motor mercury wants to replace the 454 with It is a small block with a long stroke 320 hp stock over 500 with the procharger

Moneypitt
    Oil pressure and volume have very little to do with "burning" a piston. How was it burnt? Skirt or top.......MP

haysonj
    burnt top edge on number 8 cylinder

Moneypitt
    Sounds more like it leaned out...... Again, oil pumps and pistons have very little in common. If the pistons are tight,(skirt to wall), the rod bearings will die regardless of which oil pump you're using. I reccomend the Mellings 10777. It is the only pump I've ever used "out of the box". All the numbers are there, it has a screw in pick up, (call Pat @ Dooley and tell him you need a screw in pick up for the Dooley pan) And, the impellers are supported at both ends, the cover is pinned in place, the relief is changed with a pipe threaded plug, instead of that little roll pin deal, the bottom of the body has the reliefs.............Check it out, oh and it comes with 2 springs for pressure......I have always had to put several hours into any pump I bought, even the high dollar ones, but this new Melling deal is good to go, out of the box...About $100. w/ pick up, 8" or 9" for the stocker pans, the Dooley will require a custom pick up, but Dooley will fix you up for a price. I asked Pat why they don't make the screw in pick ups, and he was waiting for the demand...Well, it's here!!............Make sure the new motor has adaquate skirt to wall for the "cold water" cooled marine application...That blower will produce some heated pistons.................MP

haysonj
    Thanks I'll try that pump and I guess I'll look to see why it leaned out may have been bad gas I use mobil 91 octane, I've been told Unocal is a better choice thanks again