Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1000 + HP

schiada96
    Can't screws can make way more power than a roots?

HighRoller
    The biggest problem with your quest for 1000hp on pump gas will be heat.Therefore,a good aluminum head(ported and matched) and a high capacity intercooler will be mandatory,and I would recommend a 14-71 blower.Teague Marine's 1000HP produces the power at 6000RPM with a 14-71.Also,a hydraulic roller is the only way to go for a cam.It requires a high dollar valvetrain but it is the only way to go.(Obviously make sure it's matched to your combo/drive)If I were you I would consult every engine builder within reach for advice.Finally,make sure your reciprocating assembly is ready for the HP!!!

boat030
    Dustin,
    thanks for answering my question. I've had a good amount of experience with marine engines but never a blown motor it's like starting all over again. that seems like alot of boost for pump gas is the intercooler going to make that possible.what about running the 1471 with the whiple intercooler??

VD CRUISER
    Highroller,
    It's already turning 6200 rpm, I'd like to get it up to about 6500-6600 so I don't have to change gears or prop or both. Got 48% in the V-Drive now and 12x16 2 blade prop. Do you think the hydraulic roller makes more torque than the mechanical or do you like it for low maintanence.
    THANKS to everyone for the input, keep it coming.

Whipple Charged
    Boost daddy, yes 12-14 on pump gas all day long.
    1200 to 1300 hp with a roots blower on pump gas?? Might want to check that dyno calibration. Sterling Engines make approx. 1300 hp on race gas with awesome big chief heads, 558ci, good cam design, a sound internal rotating assembly and the know how, but pump gas, I highly, highly doubt it. If you take those numbers, than with our superchargers, you can make 1350-1500hp on the same engine. Others makes 700+ci with 4-5lbs. of boost to make 1200hp with a roots.
    HIGHROLLER, no need to advise on 1471, that's what were trying to say, a 1471 is so low on the efficiency scale, power and reliability is so much easier to achieve with a screw.
    Boat030, 12-14 is not that much when you have low compression, the right cam design, and good flowing heads with efficient superchargers. An intercooler, open cooling with fresh water cooling the engine, etc., you can really make motors live a long time. As for a 1471, it depends what boost levels your going to run, the first problem you'll have is that our intercooler manifold is so low that it hits normal distributors with 1271-1471 blowers. But the blower is going to take huge HP to drive, if you run low boost, intercooler won't do much but make things safer, if you run higher boost levels, you'll be able to achieve more power because the intercooler will be taking a lot of heat. You have to get more air and fuel in the cylinder the most efficient way.
    Thanks,
    Dustin

boat030
    Dustin, the distributor won't be a problem we are going to run an msd crank trigger. could i run your intercooler and quad rotor under the engine cover with no scoop or would it need more air to run effectively.do you think this set up is capable of 1300hp on pump gas all the rotating assembly and valvetrain is top of the line. can i call you to discuss this further.

Charley
    I have a Whipple quad rotor with Whipples innercooler on a Teague 509.....I wanted something reliable so I requested a mild 7.5 lbs of boost which makes 848 hp at 6000 rpms on the dyno...I also know that Dustin and Bob Teague put a 12 lb pully on my motor that day and it made 1050 HP at 5000 rpms, Bob didn't want to push my motor any higher with that pully because he still hadn't recieved my final payment on the motor hehehe ..not bad for a little 509 on pump gas...and she idles nice too....Im not a gear head but I am VERY happy with my setup and both Dustin and Bob have been very good to work with.

e-ticket
    Should I put a t-400 transmission in my blown 74 Howard? Why or why not?

boatguy222
    Charley,
    It sounds you have what I want to build, I have a good 500ci shortblock, and want to put the Whipple quad unit on it. My goals for this engine about 800 reliable hp. The 7.5 lbs of boost sounds about right, My question for you is what head combo are you using? and what camshaft are you using? I have neither and I am looking for a workable comb.
    thanks
    Marc
    Originally posted by Charley:
    I have a Whipple quad rotor with Whipples innercooler on a Teague 509.....I wanted something reliable so I requested a mild 7.5 lbs of boost which makes 848 hp at 6000 rpms on the dyno...I also know that Dustin and Bob Teague put a 12 lb pully on my motor that day and it made 1050 HP at 5000 rpms, Bob didn't want to push my motor any higher with that pully because he still hadn't recieved my final payment on the motor hehehe ..not bad for a little 509 on pump gas...and she idles nice too....Im not a gear head but I am VERY happy with my setup and both Dustin and Bob have been very good to work with.

VD CRUISER
    E-ticket,
    Have had a T-400 in my blown 83, 21 Howard since it was new. No problems with it at all. The lower gears are especially nice for idling around marinas and docking when you have big gears in the V-drive. I have 48% over.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast