Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone heard of Lightning Power Boats

SD Chris
    Saw the review in ***boat mag, looks like a good entry level, also looks exactly like an ultra. same model 21xs
    Does anyone have one or know anyone that does
    Website, more pictures?

jet4fun
    i believe it is the former west coast ultra boats in san fernando... my understanding is that they used to get bare hulls from ultra in el cajon, and rig them themselves... they must have decided to change to their own name (for whatever reason???), and i heard that they are now doing the la-up in house. kinda funny that they are using the name of the old cheap line that ultra used to make
    of course i could be completely wrong

THOR
    Lightnings were Ultra hulls just without the frills. What Laser is to Essex is what Lightning was to Ultra. Ultra hasnt made any Lightnings for a few years at least. They are on their own now. They look good to me.

Jetdriver
    Just fair warning YOU WILL GET ****ED BY THE OWNER DO NOT BUY A BOAT FROM THEM!

jbtrailerjim
    I heard the owner of Lightning is the brother of that crooked **** Jerry Van Beek (the old owner of Ultra) that screwed over alot of people before John West bought Ultra from him. Is Lightning laying up there own hull's now? I thought Joel at Genesis was laying them up for them. Not positive about that but I thought I remember hearing that from someone.

dicudmore
    Don't know who does the lay up for them. They are definitely the san fernando shop that used to sell Ultra's. Called west coast ultra or some jazz like that. Believe they purchased some molds from Ultra and are now putting their own name on

Lightning
    Ultra used to make the Lightning's in house and sell them direct. I own one (bought in August 2001 from Ultra in El Cajon); it was my first boat. I think John was not making enough money on them and ended up selling the molds to the guys in San Fernando.
    They were laid up exactly the same as Ultra's were back then (that is what was said anyways), no difference as far as the hull is concerned. The 21xs was exactly the same between the 2 lines, they just had less frills on the interior stuff; no stereo, no power hatch, no power fuel switch, no cup holders in the bow, simpler interior, you get the picture.....).

MudPumper
    The owner is Jason Van Beek, the son of the other guy yada yada yada, and they are producing the Lightning line in San Fernando. Jason said, at the LA Boat show, that they are still associated with John West and Ultra Boats. The Lightning boat is an Ultra, without the name. It is supposed to be an entry level performance boat from what I understand. Same hulls, less frills such as anodized parts, less graphics, options etc.

HBjet
    Originally posted by MudPumper
    Same hulls, less frills such as anodized parts, less graphics, options etc.
    And single axle trailers right?

Infomaniac
    Originally posted by Lightning
    Ultra used to make the Lightning's in house and sell them direct. I own one (bought in August 2001 from Ultra in El Cajon); it was my first boat. I think John was not making enough money on them and ended up selling the molds to the guys in San Fernando.
    They were laid up exactly the same as Ultra's were back then (that is what was said anyways), no difference as far as the hull is concerned. The 21xs was exactly the same between the 2 lines, they just had less frills on the interior stuff; no stereo, no power hatch, no power fuel switch, no cup holders in the bow, simpler interior, you get the picture.....).
    Mrs. Infomaniac has this 23XS from when they were build by John West Ultra. 2001 Model bought new in 2002.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...Ultra1-med.JPG
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...1Okie1-med.JPG
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...1Okie5-med.JPG

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast