Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blown up Procharged 6.2

Craig
    OK, little help here A friend has a 29' Powerquest vee hull. He had twin 6.2 motors with Prochargers set up for 5# boost. He was coming home from the sandbar running hard for about 5 minutes. One motor started losing rpm's. Bottom line, he took it to the shop and it busted some ring lands off two pistons and tuliped a valve. So, to me this seems to me to be a fuel delivery issue, maybe leaned out during the hard run. Any thoughts on this and a cause??? I think think the motors are basically stock besides the Prochargers. I know this motor has hypereutectic pistons as opposed to forged. Anyone, anyone.......
    http://www.justanothertoy.com/photog...russengine.jpg
    http://www.justanothertoy.com/photog...ussengine1.jpg
    http://www.justanothertoy.com/photog...t/russhead.jpg

1BIGJIM
    Ok I will go out on the line. I think you answered your own question. "hypereutectic pistons as opposed to forged"
    Is going to part of the problem.
    Buy a Whipple Charger

HP350SC
    6.2 is MPI correct? How does Procharger control the fuel and timing curves? Just bumping fuel pressure is a band aid approach. Do they rely on the stock knock sensor? Don't think those pistons would have made it 5 minutes @5lbs. WOT with any s/c.

Craig
    Yeah, I was wondering about the pistons. The 6.2 is MPI. I was thinking about calling ProCharger and getting some info on how they compensate. I had heard that the boosted fuel pressure is a band aid.

1BIGJIM
    I have seen pistons with holes clean through them. Remember hypereutectic pistons are a fancy name for cast piston. Cross my fingers, I just installed a set of K.B. in my new engine I have one hour and no problems but I have no plans for nitrous or super charger. If I had to do it all over again I would of spent the extra $200 and put in forged. I am already over budget:frown:
    Good luck on your project..

Quality Time
    I read on another board about a whippled 6.2 coming a part as well. 26 Daytona with twin 6.2's.

Craig
    Luckily, my boats still running, this boat is a friends, sorry Russ I spoke with Procharger today and they said their suggestion would be to put in forged pistons, go figure. What are they selling a kit for if they know it needs forged slugs
    BTW, QT, a 26 Daytona with twins?????

HP350SC
    I got away with cast pistons in my old 350 w/7lbs. boost, but I never held WOT for more than 30 seconds. Also, that is keeping a close eye on timing and fuel delivery.
    I think I remember reading somewhere the hypereutectic piston material was "brittle" for lack of a better term. I know of some off road guys that have broken ring lands on the hyper. pistons with N/A motors.

powerplay230
    Here's a question after looking at pictures. Look at color of the one cylinder that broke- is it different because just that one ran lean or did that cylinder get cleaned up from water getting in it. If fuel delivery don't MPIs run more evenly cylinder to cylinder.
    I know I'm paranoid about getting water in motor after having it happen twice in two seasons...

CARLSON-JET
    Not an expert on supercharge engines, although I have one. I would check the rod bearings. if they look hammered, I would guess something to do with pre-ignition or detonation . whether due to low octane gas, lean out or a half dozen other culprits. there are alot of symptoms not shown in the pics that would leed one to a better conclusion. Or, the easy way is to just say .. crap pistons, forged will cure all. If your friend has really deep pockets, buy bore and reassemble to play the scenario over again .. I personally would look at every aspect I could. Looking is free and has to be done anyways. I too would really like to know why this happened. Please post the final results. OPM (other poeples mistakes) can save others countless time effort and money not to mention a fun summer of boating. R.B.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast