Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's the deal with cheap skates

Boozer
    Here on the boards everyone has the same outlook for the most part. "You only live once and you can't take the money with you when you go so live it up while you can."
    I live by the same sets of guidelines you guys do. I work my ass for my money so I might as well enjoy it while I can.
    All of this brings a question to my head and I never quite understood it. Why do these people make so much money and live so cheaply?
    Example:
    My g/f's father is the head suregeon at one of the local hospitals here. He is also the most respected orthapedic surgeon in the state and from what I understand very well known around the country. The guy works his ass off and is easily worth 30,000,000 or more. He does have a nice house but bought it when real estate was cheap and now it's worth about 4 mill. but again he did buy it when real estate was cheap and the area he is in wasn't the beverly hills of colorado at the time. Other then his house the guy drives a 10 year old subaru station wagon and wont spend more then $30 on a pair of jeans. He just wont spend money.
    My dermatoligist is another good example. I dont know what the guy makes but he's a total cheap skate. He and I have established a friendship and even gone out for beers a couple times. He's a dermatolgist and also a plastic surgeon but shop's for clothes at sams club. I talked to him about boating and he said he'd never waste money on a boat or a truck big enough to pull one. He drives a Honda Accord.
    Why make the money if you have no intentions of spending it?
    I just don't get it.
    I grew up poor. Living in the projects poor. My parents would have spent it if they had it but they didn't have shit to spend. Now that I have the money to spend I just couldn't imagine piling it all away with no intentions of ever spending it. I'm the first one to admit I have over done it a few times but I make sure to keep just enough put away that in the event I do get in over my head I keep a nice stock pile in the savings account to save my ass. And if one day I lose it all it can be quickly regained. Donald Trump has filed bankruptcy and look at the guy today.
    So does anyone know these peoples logic?
    What's the point?

MudPumper
    It's how the rich stay rich!!! I don't get it, if I had that kind of money, I would save, invest a good chunk of it and spend the **** out of the rest!!!!!

fourspeednup
    I don't get it but to some people wealth is just a number on a piece of paper or computer screen. Showcases of wealth like boats or flashy cars don't get them as excited as spending an afternoon on the golf course.
    My uncle for instance, the guy's worth well into the millionS and has nice shit but is not into spending on anything unneccesary. He travels the world but it is all business related. His work IS his life:yuk:

Kachina26
    I don't get having Millions and not spending some, but it sure is nice to have money in the bank for stuff that comes up. I know the money I have in the bank is nothing compared to many folks, but it's nice.

DaveA
    Originally posted by Boozer
    snip.....My g/f's father is the head surgeon at one of the local hospitals here. He is also the most respected orthapedic surgeon in the state and from what I understand very well known around the country. The guy works his ass off and is easily worth 30,000,000 or more....snip
    Well, it seems to me that you need to marry this chick so you can start to work on that $30mil at some point in time...
    BTW, how's the flyin' lessons?
    DaveA

Tom Brown
    Hey, here's a thought... maybe there's more to life than spending money?

Boozer
    Originally posted by DaveA
    Well, it seems to me that you need to marry this chick so you can start to work on that $30mil at some point in time...
    BTW, how's the flyin' lessons?
    DaveA
    I'll work on the marriage aspect if and when the time is right, Marrying into wealth is a nice thought but self made wealth is what I am shooting for. However, if I do marry I'll make sure there is NOT a prenup involved.
    I took one lesson and then the instructor cancelled on my the next 2 times I scheduled to go so I havent been since. Maybe I was a shitty learner and he thought I would kill him? Didnt do much the first lesson so I dont think that was the case but either way I said **** it. He obviously didnt want my money that badly.

bchbum
    Remember the momey they have in the bank is the money that we borrow to buy our toys . So tell them to keep saving , for us .

LASERRAY
    I'm one that is in no shortage of money, and in no way do I have a surplus
    of disposable income either, but I do live by the one philosophy that has ensured my lesiure time since I came of age, and my credo is this: "I work to live, I don't live to work." and "Have a good time all the time". So far so good.

DaveA
    Originally posted by Boozer
    snip...I took one lesson and then the instructor cancelled on my the next 2 times I scheduled to go so I havent been since. Maybe I was a shitty learner and he thought I would kill him? Didnt do much the first lesson so I dont think that was the case but either way I said **** it. He obviously didnt want my money that badly.
    Not to hijack this thread, but which airport were you flying out of?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast