Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about Howard hulls?

DOHARA
    Been looking for a 21 v drive Howard cruiser. Did howard make a river cruiser and a day cruiser? I found a 78 day cruiser but I like the look of a river cruiser look kinda like the difference in the schiada RC compared to a schiada 22 marithon. Just wondering if the howard did the same in the upper line differences. ie. kinda angles down from the dash area to back of boat insted of a stepping down. I think I described it well enough.
    Thanks,
    Dano
    http://www.howardboats.com/images/sh...-cruiser-4.jpg
    http://images.traderonline.com/img/6...70480798_1.jpg

SPECTRABRENT
    Howard 21 IS the Spectra 20 (Howard copied the Spectra 20) and the hulls look the same but they are different. The Schiada RC has a deeper entry & 15 degree bottom. The Howard (Spectra) is a 12 degree bottom.
    Howard changed the deck in the mid 1980's from the original Spectra 20 deck.
    Brent

lucky
    78 howard

lucky
    my 78 is a two stringer ( full leanth ) originally with glass belly tanks - ( not good for blowers ) I had alum built and installed -
    boat is not the most responsive thing around the docks It is a cruiser ...

CustomCruiser
    I believe there is only one mold for the bottom of the 21 Howard Custom Cruiser. The top comes in at least three flavors - old style cruiser, whaler, and the current (more streamlined) version. Like SpectraBrent said, the bottom was designed after the Spectra, but is was modified and is a true 21' (excluding any swim steps).

spectras only
    Originally posted by CustomCruiser
    IHoward Custom Cruiser. version. Like SpectraBrent said, the bottom was designed after the Spectra, but is was modified and is a true 21' (excluding any swim steps). What you saying is , the 21 custom cruiser is a stretched 20.10 spectra hull ?

Originally posted by CustomCruiser
    I believe there is only one mold for the bottom of the 21 Howard Custom Cruiser. The top comes in at least three flavors - old style cruiser, whaler, and the current (more streamlined) version. Like SpectraBrent said, the bottom was designed after the Spectra, but is was modified and is a true 21' (excluding any swim steps).
    CC,
    you're right on the money with your mention of Howards 3 different decks for the cruiser (I love the later version where Howard Brown straightend out the gunales, and used a nicer
    non- skid. He got away from the kitty litter look on that one) but the bottom's pure Spectra. No changes, other than the inserts that were made for the v-drives, it's just as splashed. Howard told me he called up Spectra soon after they introduced the boat told them he was going to splash it. I don't remember what the repercussions were, but he was the first one to splash it. Tahiti followed right behind him, but the changed the deck a little. At Rogers, we even sold a few of Howards whalers as a 'Rogers'.
    Close knit community back then.

CustomCruiser
    I guess it was a close-knit community back then. It's hard to imagine that happening today without legal action. Anyway, DOHARA, the bottom (Spectra) runs and handles great. If you found a 21' Howard in good shape, I would buy it. Here's a shot of the new deck from the Howard Custom Boats web site (this is a '97).
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...-Bow-Rider.jpg

SPECTRABRENT
    Like Old Rigger said, the Howard 21 is the Spectra 20.
    The Spectra 20 could have been call a Spectra 21, but in the early 1970's the biggest boat that could go in the Long Beach Marine Stadium was limited to 20 feet long. The Spectra 20 is (20ft 10in).
    As for being a close-knit community, I dont think so, Spectra did sue the boat companies that copied their boats and won.
    Brent

Originally posted by SPECTRABRENT
    Like Old Rigger said, the Howard 21 is the Spectra 20.
    As for being a close-knit community, I dont think so, Spectra did sue the boat companies that copied their boats and won.
    Brent
    Brent,
    I was kinda talking about the area I grew up in and the shops I worked for, Rogers, Howard, Tahiti. Galixie was around the corner, Wriedt, Regatta, and so on. You're right about the lawsuits, but I saw many people help one another out when a boat had to be done and they needed something from another builder. No big deal. It was a close knit deal. 'Cept for spectra I guess, they might as well have been in another state they were so far from us. Schuster sued and got sued, but everyone still dealt with him, or worked for him when things got slow. It was cool. :wink:

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast