Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Points to Electronic Ignition conversion

Mad Daddy
    Has anyone ever done the points to electronic conversion using the stock distributor. I am looking at the Pertronix Ignitor 2 kit. I dont have the cash for a complete distrib change out, and thought this might be an easy way to get the advantages of the electronic ignition.
    Thanks, Mad Daddy

i have done 2 of them and both work great
    pat(slotracer)

Mad Daddy
    Which unit did you use, Petronix? or MSD, and what about the timing? smae as before?

i used the patronics units and the timing was set the same i have
    mine on a 454bbc set at 34* total. advance
    pat(slotracer)

jtham
    I have a 455 Olds with the stock points distributor. I called an engine tune up shop in my city and they said it's a simple change over. They said they use Pertronics most of the time for the change over.
    I looked in the summit catalogue and they have Pertonics Ignitor II for $109.99. I can't even afford that right now, so i'm just going to buy an extra set of points in case mine blow. For a stock 455, points are fine because your not turning alot of RPM"s.
    The electronic is the way to go, but I will switch over and put the money in it when I swap to a 454.
    My 2 cents!! Jay

TahitiBoss21
    My points dist finally broke, went with a new mallory marine mag elect breakerless.....it's a POS.
    i'm going back to points for now..worked the last 30 years!

kp216
    I switched my single point Mallory over to the Pertronics Ignitor II last year. Installation took all of about 20 - 30 minutes. I love it.

Mad Daddy
    Is the Ignitor water resistant, have you ever had any issues?
    Mad Daddy

I've had Pertronix Ignitors in 2 boats, and I have an Ignitor II in my BB Mustang. They have always performed flawlessly. You can save a couple bucks with the original Ignitor, and I doubt you'll ever know the difference.

Jet Hydro
    I have an HEI for an old`s... ??? along with a pile of other old`s stuff. Intake, Valve covers, blocks, cranks, .030 pistions and rod`s that have been worked and Heads that all need to find a home. Just filled a 30gal drum with old`s parts to go to the dump.
    I had some issues with the Pertronix Ignitors in my Sand Rails. We used them about 12 years a go when they first came out and had nothing but problems. Pertronix replaced them and they now have been trouble free.We run them off an MSD 6AL.
    Never used them in a V8 so cant help ya on that one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast