Thread: Glue Removal

Wet Dream
    I know this has been run around before, but with the new boards its not showing. Whats the best way to remove the old carpet glue from the hull? This is all done outside so fumes aren't that big of a deal.

wrightnow
    I found paying someone else works best....
    Mark

MudPumper
    Wire wheel, Acetone will take you days!!

Cas
    I used the industrial strength Goof Off, worked real well.

CARLSON-JET
    WD, DO NOT USE FLAMABLE MATERIALS to remove carpet adhesives. I've been laying carpet for 19 yrs. and have never resorted to acetone ect. home depot ( or local "carpet supplies" store found in phonebook at the end of the carpet listings)sell gluedown carpet adhesive solvent that is applied to the the surface of the carpet . let it soak then remove the carpet. It can be cut with a fresh stanley blade (utility knife) into 1 ft strips which aids in ease of removal. ? why scrape all the glue residue off? trowel the new stuff on using a 1/16 or 1/8 notched trowel if using the 1/8 trowel hold it relativly flat .. like 60/70 deg angle. when doing the hard to get area's just use spray tack like 3-M. apply some to the surface(boat) and some to the carpet .. let tack and apply carpet . make all relief cuts before putting down any glue. I keep hearing what a bear this task is when really it is the least most critical part of interior resto. remember, no boat has ever been lost at sea do to carpet intallation problems. less glue is better, cause when you tear it out.. it's easier. oh and multi purpose adhesive works great. indoor outdoor death bond adhesive is way overkill. good luck. feel free to ask me any questions .

MudPumper
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by CARLSON-JET
    remember, no boat has ever been lost at sea do to carpet intallation problems.
    LMFAO

Wet Dream
    Originally posted by CARLSON-JET
    why scrape all the glue residue off?
    Thats what I got to thinking. Who cares what my floor looks like underneath the carpet? I was going to smooth over any high spots in the glue and just go right over it.
    indoor outdoor death bond adhesive is way overkill.
    But my boat won't be lost at sea due to carpet flying out at speed.
    Thanks CJ

MAXIMUS
    I prefer indoors with no ventalation! Makes the day go by faster!

Wet Dream
    Originally posted by MAXIMUS
    I prefer indoors with no ventalation! Makes the day go by faster!
    LMAO