Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBF t-stat

mgar_red
    I had seen others ask a few times about putting a thermostat kit on a BBF, and it was said it could be done with some work. Well..... I went and did the work and got one on. Thought the other BBF guys who haven't seen one would like to take a look.
    It would help to have the original distributor, but I made the one that came with the jetboat clear with only a little plastic taken off.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...1176tstat3.jpg
    Main thing to do is notch the ears close to where the housing curves inward, like on the water neck originally on there. A stock BBF gasket is all that is needed to find the locations, once centered. I'm switching to socket head bolts to make it easier, as Fords' bolt pattern puts it right up against the wall. It was a lot easier to shape some aluminum tabs to cover the mounting ears rather than grinding washers down. :wink:
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...1176tstat2.jpg
    The other work involved is re-threading the water pump blockoff plate to accept the 1/2" NPT water T's. Really makes a difference on how quick it warms up, especially when the lake's still kinda cold right now. Hope this helps if anybody was wanting to try it, but didn't know if it would work.

waterslinger
    Will not cut my MSD dist up. I got a new in the box thermostat kit
    E-mail if you want it. Dave.w.laxton@lmco.com
    Does it work OK for you??? My temp is 120 to 130 with a Moroso
    washer 1/2 in hole I think.

riverbound
    I put one on mine but instead of grinding the dist. I ground the side of the t-stat. I love how quickly it warms up and the temp always stays constant.

mgar_red
    Only had it out once since install.... just got starter back from rebuild shop. I was happy with how it warmed up a whole lot quicker than before, and never went passed 170.
    Dist. was already on there before me, but I got the original Prestolite also, which clears. Planned on converting over with Pertronix kit, but thought i'd try this first. There's two walls on the blue cap, and didn't touch the inner one so it still seals just like it did before.
    I didn't mind notching the ears, but taking a chunck out of something I just pd over $150 for led me to try what i did. Even though it's solid stainless in that area, i opted for cap&spacer work which is way less expensive to replace compared to the t-stat neck.

HotHallet
    Skipped the T-stat on my 501 Ford. Running a McMaster Carr water pressure regulator and a gate valve opened all the way. No problems. Runs at a consistent 150 at idle and about 120 cruising. Jet boats always run dead cold anyway! Have the dump valve opened all the way as well.

BigBlockBaja
    Hey HotHallet,
    I just recieved the same setup you just modified for your motor. Im going to go the same route. Does this protect the engine from excessive water pressure? That was one of my concerns with my plumbing of my motor.
    Pat

Spectra19
    Originally posted by waterslinger
    Will not cut my MSD dist up. I got a new in the box thermostat kit
    E-mail if you want it. Dave.w.laxton@lmco.com
    Does it work OK for you??? My temp is 120 to 130 with a Moroso
    washer 1/2 in hole I think.
    Did this a few years ago with my boat. Brother in law has the same set up to. We both run the MSD billet dist. and not one dist had to be modified. So you can run the thermostat and a MSD together without cutting it up. And yes it works great!

GottaJet
    Looks good mgar I knew you'd get that thing to fit. I assume since you were out on the water you took care of your little pump problem which is also good news. GJ

mgar_red
    Thanks GJ, it actually picked up 2mph. But since I put both a reworked impeller and a shoe/rideplate kit, i'm not sure which one did it for me. I'm just really happy it didn't have more damage than it could have
    Now if I could only get some free time to put the new carb and starter back on i'd be a happy camper... er... jetter

BigBlockBaja
    Got it on today. Works great hooked up to a garden hose, Temp gauge isnt working yet. Think its a problem with a Ford sending unit vs. a gm one. Going to replace that this week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast