Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TECH HELP....cutting diamond plate?

clownpuncher
    I need to cut some peices of aluminum diamond plate. Nothing fancy, mostly just straight cuts without turns or holes.
    What's the best tool to use? I'd like a plasma cutter, but, ain't gonna happen.
    I was thinking a jigsaw with a metal blade? I'm also gonna need to smooth the cut edges. Belt sander?
    Where do I buy this stuff?
    Any help is welcome. Thanks in advance.
    Roland

Flying Tiger
    I use a sawsall with a fine metal cutting blade. The finer the blade, the finer the cut.
    Tape or clamp a straight edge like a piece of wood as a guide to get a perfect cut.
    If you use a surface grinder (not recomended, and you shouldn't, but people use them anyways) with a cutting wheel, use both a face shield AND safety glasses. Chunks fly and you'll get hit with molten hot aluminum.
    The sawsall works best & cut the backside of the Diamond plate.
    I won't be out your way until Mid June,, but you can use one of mine if it helps any.
    You can buy them reasonably at Home Depot.

AdrenelineOD
    You my call me crazy but...... I use a SKill worm drive saw with a nice carbide cross cut blade. cuts it like wood. Tape where you don`t want scratches. Hope this helps Brad

Cheap Thrills
    Originally posted by AdrenelineOD
    You my call me crazy but...... I use a SKill worm drive saw with a nice carbide cross cut blade. cuts it like wood. Tape where you don`t want scratches. Hope this helps Brad
    Ive had good results with that method but always used a light ply blade and ran it backwards .
    C.T. :wink:

BahnerBabe
    Try Norther Tools....they have a store in Sanberdo

Flying Tiger
    Remember to wear eye protection. It's real cheap at Home Depot or at Lowes.
    Don't want to read a post that you got hurt.

repo man
    i use a skill saw too

Froggystyle
    Many ways to do it. For straight cuts, use a shear which should be available at the place you buy the diamond plate. Usually about $2 per cut, which is worth every penny for perfect cuts.
    For small curves or other cuts, I will cut from behind (the flat side) so you don't mar the finish, and use a good quality, non-scrolling saber saw with an aluminum blade. Make sure to go slowly, or you will heat-short the aluminum and stick it to the blade and it will appear useless. If it stops working, and looks clogged, go cut a little hardwood with it and that will clean it off.
    Have fun!

SchellSchock
    Skill Saw Carbide tipped blade, Jig Saw, use a light coat of WD-40 to prvent galling and build-up on cutting edge.

schiada96
    bring it by and I'll shear it for you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast