Thread: oil coolers

victorfb
    i have a gen VI 502 that has the oil cooler lines coming from next to the oil filter boss. i looked at the rex coolers and see they look pretty simple. but do they work? well? is it worth the money? looks like the water passes straight through and the oil surrounds the water line and then back to the block. seeems like i can make one pretty easy. aluminium or stainless steel? can i just plug the oil cooler holes in the block if i dont use an external cooler? or will i also need to change the by pass valve to a differant setting? cash is running low and so is time. so any help here is welcome. making one would be easy and cheap. or so it looks.

Danhercules
    Cap em if you can. Your runnin short on time. Mess with it later.

Dan's right... stop tempting fate. Starting another project now could cause problems for FC.
    Roost (pot calling the kettle black) wear

Infomaniac
    Don't use those holes for an oil cooler for marine use. Will not flow enough.
    Use a block mounted Oleson cooler or buy an adapter that goes where the filter is to run an external cooler. Block the filter bypass or put in the high pressure bypass.

victorfb
    dans right. i need address other stuff first. so i will block the cooler line holes. the tiny by pass valve thing is pressed in right? then drift punched a little to keep it in? thats the way it looks. i did buy the higher presure relief valve when i bought the engine two years ago and should still have it around. do you happen to know the part number so i can make sure its the right one?

victorfb
    the part number i have is 2516-1284 valve ASM. im pretty sure this the high presure one.