Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: oil & water temp low

RACER52
    I am wondering how everyone is getting their oil temp. I cant get above 180 when running. (hard) The water temp isnt getting above 100. if that.
    How should it be plumbed??
    Do people run those moroso restricters under the t-stat housing?
    I belive my water flow is like this
    w/p to fuel cooler
    fuel cooler to oil/powersteering cooler al in one
    oil cooler to crossover
    engine out of t-stat housing to exhaust
    Thanks
    racer

Infomaniac
    T stat stuck open or missing sounds like.

HP350SC
    Racer- It is because you used the restrictor that whipple sent you. I sent my crossover back to Whipple so they could weld a threaded bung to it. Then I will put back on the brass tee with spring loaded check balls (that originally came with the HP500) into the crossover. Next I will have to get a 120 deg. t-stat and remove the restrictor. The 2 extra hoses from the tee will then be routed to the exhaust manifolds, (which Whipple had me cap off). I believe the t-stat housing hoses go to the risers and the brass tee hoses go to the lower ex. man. fittings.

RACER52
    there isnt any restrictor in there at all. Nothing came with the housing.
    So should I run a restrictor or a t-stat. If I run a t-stat do I need to re-plumb the water to the exhaust??
    Racer

HP350SC
    You can have my restrictor if you want it. Might be OK for your lake water temps.

RACER52
    hp350=
    thanks for the offer!! Is it simular to the moroso restricters? if so I have all of them. What is the hole size??
    Racer

HP350SC
    5/8 off the top of my head, which was the minimum size Dustin recommended if I remember correctly. I'll check later.

HP350SC
    Yep it's 5/8.
    You will probably end up running a t-stat setup like I described though. Cast iron blocks are not that forgiving to be running that cold with boost. (Not to mention oil condensation too). For example, the way my setup was we did a full "warmup", then a WOT pass 30 seconds, shut down and immediately checked spark plugs and they were lukewarm. I'm not taking any chances, I'm going the t-stat and bypass route.

The 3 port thermo housings and bypass crossovers pictured at the bottom of this page work well. Any or all of this stuff is available separately.
    Thermostat / Crossover combinations. (http://www.rexmar.com/page161.html)

Craig
    I run a crossover, so the water makes one pasa and then out the back Never see much indication on that water temp gauge. The shop I use recommended that set up with an oil thermostat to truley monitor temps. The thermostat keeps the oil at 215 degrees so any condensation will be burnt off. On a hard run it may get to 240-250 but cools right down at cruise. BTW, my temp sender for the oil is in the sump of the pan.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast