Thread: Exhaust Mufflers

bwcurry
    I am interested in feedaback on exhaust system mufflers. I have a 502 EFI with a whipple charger @ 5lbs boost. The boat is set up with a switchable silent choice exhaust Y pipe set up (not sure what manufacture) and through transom 4" straight tips. I know I cannot use the silent choice when running at speed. I am interested in quieting down the through transom exhaust on a full time basis. My research so far leads me to believe that I have the following options: Imco "gatlin mufflers", Hardin High Performanc Mufflers, Shotgun Automatic Exhaust Silenecers, Gaffrig "Outlaw" mufflers or Corsa Silencer Tips. Which manufacture has the best performance with the least amount of restriction.I have been told that the Shotgun has no restriction but I am concerned that it may not reduce the db enough. Need feedback. Thanks bwcurry@cwdriver.com

superdave013
    Bassett slip in mufflers work real good. At least they do in headers with 4" collectors. Get the ones that have the little louvers inside. Around 130 bucks I think for a set.

mister460
    Vortex Insert Cones (p/n 392-72-32530, JEGS, $60) or Car Chemistry Collector Inserts (p/n 176-3DI04L, JEGS, $73) both work well. We uses to use the Car Chemistry inserts in sprint cars. They quiet the exhaust with no appreciable reduction in power. I've also heard REALLY good reviews about the Vortex Cones. Give'm a shot.

spectras only
    Hey Andy,I'm sceptical about any of the slip in mufflers.This weekend we're going to fire up the Carrera with the 4" Rex tips with the slotted slip ins.I'm curious how much RPM will lose.I want to use one or the other for my 24 footer to please the wife.Did you have any DB reading on the cone one you mentioned?

mister460
    Sorry Attila, no DB readings on the cones, just heard that they work well. The baffle inserts work on the premise of changing the exhaust frequency for PART of the gases. This tends to cancel out sound without inducing much restriction at all. Still sounds deep and thoaty though. The cones just kinda smooth out the exhaust pulses thereby dulling the higher frequencies. I'm thinking about trying the cones in my boat. I made a set of baffles last year and the sound sweet, but might as well give something else a try! BTW, it's a little late but I can't remember if I ever thanked you for showing me your boats and your friends' shops. Those custom boats are sweet! Your spectras are awesome too. Did they ever get those "buildings" that blew over back up?

spectras only
    Andy,went to the website ,looking for that cone thing,but couldn't find it!The ultimate silencer would be the electronic one I've read about it a while back.It would generate decibels louder than the engine it'self ,thus cancelling the sound through the muffler[stealth tech].At the time when of the article was written ,the cost was a major problem to be a feasable product .Too bad you guys showed up in the late fall/winter so couldn't go for a ride.Just sold my 20 footer to a friend last saturday ,so it went to a good home.Will have a blast with the 19 in the okanagan though.The 24 footer is being worked on as I type.Actually I'm happy that hurricane stalled the project,cause I prefer the paint being done in nicer weather .They fixed all those hoops over the winter.I'll have the 24 mainly here in the lower mainland,if you come up again in the summer I'll be glad to give you a cruise.The 24 Kazulin performs awesome with the 496/duoprop combo.Tony started on the #3 hull that should be finished by the summer.We'll go to Whatcom Lake with the carrera soon for a blast.Later Attila