Thread: good valve cover sealer - HELP!

79Hawaiian
    This is only kind of boat related, it applies to my motorhome that tows my boat. Here is my problem: It has a 79 Dodge 440. The passenger side valve cover will not seal come hell or high water. I have put several sets of gaskets on (both cork and rubber), tried several kinds of sealer including the blue felpro stuff and it still leaks. The bottom edge that mates to the cover is really thin. Within 1 hour of a new set of gaskets it starts leaking. It doesnÂ’t just drip, it LEAKS! The smoke comes up around the engine cover and you can barely see inside the camper. It looks like Cheech and Chong cruising PCH. I even bought a new pair of covers because the old ones were getting a little bent because they have been off so many times.
    Can someone recommend something that dries like concrete and wontÂ’ burn away?

HOSS
    RTV red! There is also a thick gasket. Summit has them. I will have to look for a mag to find the ppart# but it is a felpro. Are you sure that you are not overtightening. Are you using spreaders under the bolts? That much oil sounds as if the gasket is slipping inside of the head.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    I found that the 3M rubber gasket adhesive works very well with rubber gaskets but you have to do it one side at a time. ex. glue gasket to valve cover and leave gasket to head side dry and bolt it on with just a little snug on bolts. Let it dry overnight come out in morning unbolt and apply glue to gasket and stick it on and snug it down. this stuff is nasty. Looks like yellow snot. But it will seal it up!!!! We call the stuff gorilla snot. If you do try to do both sides the gasket will slide out. Take time do it once and do it right. no leaks again.....
    Omega

Kurtis500
    The 'Right Stuff' sealer works the best for me. A little expensive though, I think $16+ dollars a can. It aerosol too, makes it easier to apply.

Fired Up
    I had the same problem in my old motorhome with the 440. Do you still have the stock exhaust manifolds? That right one sweeps high allowing tremendous heat to fry the gaskets. My final repair was to replace the manifolds with Thorley headers. Not only did the temp drop a great deal, but I could feel the increase in HP. I had tried the different gaskets and sealers. I finally resigned myself to just change the one gasket (the other never was a problem) once a year. This eliminated any unexpected leaks in the middle of a trip. After replacing the manifold with headers I also replaced the one valve cover with an edelbrock aluminum cover because the original had become slightly deformed at the bolt holes. I used the high temp felpro gasket and a LITTLE bit of the red high temp sealer. Hope this helps.

HighRoller
    I like the 3M yellow"monkey snot".Super sticky

Kindsvater Flat
    I have seen the chrysler valve covers crack more than once around a hold down area. You might check that. As it builds heat, which is really bad on a motorhome, it will expand and leak more. I use ultra black or gray silicone or the right stuff. High Tack works well also.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    high roller that's GORILLA SNOT

skeepwerkzaz
    I would bet that the cover itself is shot. The red RTV is good stuff, just put it on properly....Lightly coat one side of the gasket and let it begin to tack up. I would say about 10 minutes. Put that side against the cover and press it into place. Then lightly coat the head side and let it tack also. Then place it on the head and bring the bolts up to torque gently to seat the gasket, and wait for the next day to fire it up. Works every time (barring a valve cover prob.)
    Clay

Hal
    The yellow 3M has always stopped my problem leaks when all else fails even with chrome valve covers. I have never glued both sides of the gasket though. I would get A thick gasket and glue it to the valve cover. Use clothes pins around the cover to clamp the gasket over night
    while it dries. I then just coat the side that is going on the head with grease. I never had a leak doing it this way, and have used the same gasket over and over while doing valve adjustments. Do not over tighten the cover nuts or bolts.