Thread: Fuel lines for blower?

Moose
    I bought a blower set up and now I need to run the fuel lines to the carbs from the Mech. fuel pump.
    The pump is a Clay Smith 140gph 14-16psi. In the pic you can see the fuel set up I got with the blower kit. The lines into the carbs are all 6-AN.
    O.k. here's the questions:
    1. What would be a good fuel pressure reg. to run on this set up?.
    2. Are the 6-AN lines going to be to small?.
    3. What size line should I run to the carbs?
    Oh- the carbs are HP 830's
    Moose
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...88R0010063.JPG

Infomaniac
    The easiest thing to do would put another "T" at the carb line inlet on the lower right of the pic. From fuel pump straight through the "T"
    A 4 way in place of the existing "T" even better.
    "T" off to a bypass regulator and you are good to go. BG makes a nice one.
    Whatever you do make sure you run a bypass. Those carb lines will work well.
    I also see a "T" in place of the bend to the second carb. Run a short piece of hose and fuel continues on to a bypass reg.

Moose
    Info,
    Are you saying to put a Bypass Reg. right at the 6-AN "T" on the lower right of the pic?. What do you mean by a "4 way"?.
    also what size line should I run from the pump to the pressure reg.?.
    Can you connect the inlet of the bypass reg. right to the outlet of the pump and then run one line up to the "T" and the other line back to the tank?.
    Also where is an acceptable place to run the return line, since my tanks don't have any ports to return to. I really don't want to pull the motor and then tear the tanks out ( they are glassed in) to add return ports.

Infomaniac
    A 4 way is a fitting with 4 connections.
    If you can find a "T" with a pipe thread to replace the one in the picture. You can mount the bypass directly to the line. Run #8 from the pump to there.
    You need to plumb the bypass away from the pump because it will pulsate too much.
    You can run bypassed fuel to wherever the tanks "T" together. That way no return to tank complications. I have returned fuel directly to the pump inlet without problems before.

Moose
    O.K., I got it, thanks Infomaniac.
    Moose

superdave013
    Ah, I see what you where talking about now. Pics are worth 1,000 words sometime. That does look clean that's for sure.
    My question is for Info.
    Is a -6 hardline (.375 OD) big enough to feed 2 holleys on a blown engine? That just seems small to me. I could see running a -6 to each carb from the bypass regulator.
    But what do I know? That's why I'm asking.

Infomaniac
    A #8 to two #6 will do it. I think that is what I meant to say. Pump to bypass #8 right at the existing "T"
    Not my favorite set up but it works. A lot of the Teague etc use the same stuff.
    The Clay smith pump with bypass will make sure enough fuel gets to them.
    If he is wanting to spring for an entire new fuel system I would use #10 to the pump and up to the carbs and #8 at the carbs just for extra insurance.

Moose
    O.K., if I ditch the lower fuel rail connector and went with one 6-AN line, going to each fuel rail, from a bypass Reg. with one 8-AN coming in from the fuel pump and one 8-AN line going back to the "T" of my fuel tanks. Would that be better?. What do you think of this bypass Reg.?
    http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...53&prmenbr=361

Infomaniac
    That looks like it would work well.
    Be sure you do not have restrictive tank outlets. The entire system will only flow as much as the smallest component.
    Have fun.