Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Havasu-Memorial Weekend

rdg42001
    I'm new to the board and new to boating, I'm planning a trip for me and some friends to go to Havasu this Memorial weekend. Any tips out there on how we can have a great time and where to go?

jackpunx
    first off.. welcome to the site..
    Havasu on Memorial weekend is going to be a zoo.. If your new to boating..get some seat time before you go there.. If you go up to the sandbar.. follow someone.. there are some shallow spots.. and make sure you know what the "shocker" is.. lol..
    good luck

summerlove
    Originally posted by jackpunx
    first off.. welcome to the site..
    Havasu on Memorial weekend is going to be a zoo.. If your new to boating..get some seat time before you go there.. If you go up to the sandbar.. follow someone.. there are some shallow spots.. and make sure you know what the "shocker" is.. lol..
    good luck
    Yes, welcome. Also, you better realize this is a very liberal site - no republicans allowed! OGShocker is the biggest lib on the board and he'll tell you so...
    Oh yea, and Havasu for memorial Day, I'm glad you'll be there and I'll be home!

rdg42001
    thanx guys I appreciate the feedback. Anyone planning a trip for that weekend, May 28-31st?

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
    I will there this weekend also, its party time.

Three Days Only
    Everyone and there mothers will be out there that weekend including us. The Sandbar will most likely be closed saturday and sunday, but there is plenty of boating and stuff to see. The channel will be a zoo, and unless you like bumber boats, I would avoid the thompson bay entrance in the afternoon. Steamboat Cove, Park Moabi, and all the bars along the river and lake are a gauranteed good time. Have fun and safe boating.
    Jeff

CustomCruiser
    Get to your launch ramp early (like 8-ish) or you will be stuck in grid lock and will have a tough time finding parking close enough that does not require a shuttle bus. The Sand Bar will be closed, but the mini-Sand Bar just down stream will probably attract some peeps. To "experience" Havasu on Memorial Day Weekend, your best bet is either Steamboat Cove or The Channel. Copper Canyon is OK, but the traffic lane kind of screws the whole thing up. If you're not comfortable maneuvering your boat or have a new boat, I would not enter the channel mid-day. Like 3DO said, it's pretty much bumper boat time. If you're doing a guys trip, stock up on beads at the gas station before launching. Have fun and be safe.

dicudmore
    definitely launch early to take off some of the pressure of being inexperienced at it. last thing you want is to hold up a line of angry boaters w/alc influenced attitudes.
    plan on it being a total zoo, and also a great time!
    what are the details on your boat? that lake can get a little rough on smaller boats, big weekends

mbrown2
    Get out now and get the feel of the boat....
    If you are not comfortable with the boat by Memorial, it could be a chore...Memorial is the most packed weekend of the year all up and down the colorado river....Mini Sandbar, Nautical, Channel, Steamboat, Copper Canyon, Moabi, Kokomos....are all places you guys will have a blast....but just be prepared for a lot of folks that really enjoy the lake and look out for one another, and another bunch of folks that only show up on the major weekends and can be complete idiots.....You have to have a lot of patience during the big weekends due to congestion in certain spots, on the launch ramps, and on the streets around town, but if you are comfortable with all that, there is no weekend that is more fun, boat and bikini filled then Memorial...
    Also, it was said before, but get to the launch ramp early; no later than 08:30...
    Good luck

CA Stu
    These guys are playing with ya.
    Get up late, have a few beers to let the crowds around the launch ramp thin out, launch like 9 or 10.
    Head toward the bridge after a while, like 1 pm or so, idle for 100 yards past the buoys, then when you see the London Bridge, gas it and haul ass underneath it. If you've got a fast, big boat, you will impress everyone. Also, a huge stereo blasting that great Nelly song will win you friends and help you meet chicks.
    I think sunscreen is for pussies, too.
    There are lots of places to buy beer and fuel real cheap right on the Lake, so don't bother to get any gas or beer before you hit the water.
    Also, if you have a jet ski, try and splash people in boats, they think it's a lot of fun!
    Have fun!
    CA Stu
    PS Do the opposite, you'll live longer and have more fun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast