Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More bad news for diesels

BowTie Rick
    First step is cut sulfer and add catalutic converters. They are talking commercial vehicles in here but if successful, private vehicles are next...
    CNN Diesel Article (http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science....ap/index.html)

CustomCruiser
    New Fords and Chevys already have catalytic converters on them (don't know about Dodge). Once they reduce the sulfur levels, they will add particle collectors in-line with the catalytic converters. That should send EGTs through the roof.

PHX ATC
    Dodge 2004.5 have cats in them.
    Yuck.

Lightning
    This site has a ton of Diesel info on it.
    http://www.dieselforum.org/index.html

jackpunx
    Originally posted by CustomCruiser
    New Fords and Chevys already have catalytic converters on them (don't know about Dodge). Once they reduce the sulfur levels, they will add particle collectors in-line with the catalytic converters. That should send EGTs through the roof.
    Well it gives me a couple of years before I have to put mine back in.

CA Stu
    I don't see the problem.
    I looked at a 2004 Dodge Cummins and there is a sticker that says it is a "50 State Low Emission Vehicle"?
    When you consider all the scrapers, graders, earthmoving equipment, trains, old buses, etc. in use in So Cal, especially in the LA Basin, why not get them to run cleaner?
    Who amongst us hasn't had red eyes from smog, either ourselves or a family member? Asthma attacks, etc. all that respiratory stuff comes into play.
    Get the commercial vehicles cleaner, leave the private stuff alone. That way I can turn the screw on my Cummins and get 480 hp and 1000 ft. lbs out of it
    Thanks
    CA Stu

Jordy
    That's just great because cats on diesels are bad news. With the heavy particulates they end up clogged up in about 70K miles and then create lots of back pressure, ultimately blowing out the seals in your turbo and sucking lots of performance out of it.
    On my '94 6.5 Chevy, I flunked emissions and did some research, talked to some local diesel gurus and found out that little tidbit. With 200,000 miles on it, he said it had to be the cat. I pulled it off, hollowed it out and put it back on. Ran better than when it was new and sailed through emissions...

SkiSangerDLX
    To buy or not to buy Diesel?
    I'm headed out to go pick up a new Diesel(Chevy), but just read what you guys have said now am very concerned.
    OK - first I want clean burning low emissions
    2 - I want good mileage
    3 - dont want to loose power or have a bunch of problems later (70k miles)
    I heard rumor that the fuel injection system for Chevy is around $5000 to replace after waranty runs out.
    I have enjoyed my current ride for 10 yrs and 240k miles same engine no leaks. 5.3 GMC Xtra cab. I still get around 18mpg to the river.

Jordy
    The new LLY Duramaxes already have a cat on them. IMHO I won't buy another truck that isn't a diesel. I do know they are dealing with the emissions issues here in Phoenix and the surrounding areas, especially on the older models and one of the solutions has been to put and exhaust scrubber (similar to a cat) on the stack and that has cut the emissions down to acceptable levels, even on n/a Cat 3208's (which are possibly the nastiest engine out there emission wise). Worst case, you pull the cat off and hollow it out and put it back on when you throw some new exhaust on the truck. Diesel is still one of the cleanest options out there. It burns cleaner because it's hotter, and while it has a heavier particulate count, everything ends up on the ground rather than in the ozone. That's just my $.02 on the issue.
    You could always find an older Duramax (even early '04) with the LB7 in it and not have to deal with the cat at all.

SkiSangerDLX

Thanks for the info..
    I picking up a new one tomorrow. I read further on the EPA stuff and its just the way to go!
    Go Diesel!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast