Thread: Merlin Blocks

SnapperSnacher
    Hello all I'm thinking of putting a Mild Blown 572 Merlin together & would like to know if any one is running a Merlin Block in a jet boat & how thay like the this block. you see I dont won't a block that wont run cool. I have a new 10-71 BDS blower with a inercooler that I will be putting on it.

BLOWNDRAGBOAT
    10:71 and 572ci? Nothing mild about that dude. I build marine racing engines and rig boats for a living. I use bowties and merlins with out a second thought. I even had a blown 632 in my current jet now I am selling it and am on the downhill side of a MONSTER 705CI blower motor and I am using a merlin super block for the build up. As far as heat, jetboats actually have a problem building heat unless you put either a remote water valve to resrict water flow or use a thermostat kit. You won't have any heating problems. One more thing, Dart (as in dart cylinder heads) has come out with a block called a super M that is a completely redesigned block. I haven't had the opportunity to get ahold of one yet but they are suppose to be pretty stout. I believe they are similar in price to the merlin. LEt me know if i can help ya any furthur. PEACE

SnapperSnacher
    BLOWNDRAGBOAT THANKS for that info & I will look in to that Dart Block.

Dimarco Kid
    Attention! The 632 in no longer for sale! Blowndragboat and I have decided it would work out best if he put it in my drag hydro for me to use. It was a mutual agreement, I think! LOL
    Dimarco Kid

DetroitJim
    A word of caution, a certain percentage of Merlin blocks have casting porosity when manufactured. They do have excellent quality control and do not sell any bad blocks, but some of them find their way out the back door and are put up for sale by private parties. If you run across one for a low price, look it over very carefully for voids, especially near the top edges as this is the last place to fill in the mold. My tall deck 540 has some flaws in this area.
    DetroitJim