Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any suggestions

signmaster
    I finaly finished my 79 southwind its got a blown 454 8-71 at about 6lbs boost and [2] 850 holleys I have a hot foot pedal, whenever I get into the right kind of chop it causes me to work the pedal flooding and killing the motor sometimes its very hard to restart is a hand throttle the only cure?

21rayson
    go to a center pivot pedal assembly.

bigpapasean
    I had a similar problem on my jeep. Win it got ruff my foot would bounce on the petal witch would make the jeep buck causing my foot to bounce even more. Had a fellow four wheeler tell me to put a bigger return spring on. Did this and it helped now abele to hold petal without bouncing. This mite work for you to.

MudPumper
    My pedal does does the same thing in chop, I take my foot out of the pedal and place my heel on the floor and work the pedal with the ball of my foot. Kinda strange but it works.
    Lets see some pics of your Southwind!!!

victorfb
    you think you guys have it rough. i am an incomplete paraplegic, meaning my feet dont work at all. they just dangle. and have the same problem in my boat and also the buggy. my boat pedal HAD the center pivot and since i have to use my leg to push i need to rest my heel against something, so i cut and welded the pedal assembly to pivot from the bottom and used cantalevers to keep the cable a push instead of trying to refab the entire thing to be a pull cable. it works for me. now in the chop i do still have to be very carefull, but having the pedal pivot from the bottom allows me to push my foot against it to stablize, then kind of tilt my leg a bit higher to push the throttle. does that make sense? the heavier spring also works well. in the buggy i basically use the same pedal as most people have (bottom pivot) but i made mine a bit larger to support my foot better, and doubled the springs. i wont even go into what i had to make for the brake and clutch pedals. i would try the heavier springs first and see if that does the trick for ya. after that if you still have the problem in the chop, go to shore and anchor bow out, IT's TOO FRIGGIN CHOPPY OUT THERE!!! open a can of beverage and wait till the wind dies, or in most cases wait till the boats that should be on their way to catalina go away. ok, that was a cheap shot. but i just dont get it when i see these 32'+ boats on the colorado river.
    oh yea. i too would love to see some pics of that southwind.

signmaster
    does anyone make a left handed hand throttle or are those for girls?

Jordy
    I'm thinking it would be a little scary with a hand throttle, that is unless you're thinking of something along the lines of your foot throttle rather than the I/O style that will stay where you put it. You'd really have to be on the ball to keep from zinging the engine everytime the pump came out of the water as it happens a hell of a lot more in a jet than it would in an I/O. Just my $.02

Keep the pedal pressed firmly to the floor.

sidewound
    Originally posted by gunslinger
    Keep the pedal pressed firmly to the floor.
    DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    No problem that way!
    Peace Man!
    CESAR

berk
    had the same prob on my tunnel. came with the center pivot pedal that pushes the cable. that unit is now in the recycle bin. i fabed my own which pivots at the floor and it made a huge difference! i now rest my heel on the floor (i had to make a floor) i also built a wall to rest my foot agaist on the pinky side. basically i looked at car pedals and examined why they work so well, i was suprised to find that almost all pivot way above the foot, and your foot rests on the floor AND the hump created by the tranny. this is critical because with a cnter pivot pedal your leg weight is bouncing on a pivoting thing-wrong. with your foot resting on the floor you can accuratley push aginst the pedal. i also made the shape of the pedal like a car, much smaller and curved( because car pedals usually do pivot in the center, but just loose to match your foot) the PROBLEM with bottom pivot pedals is if you are pushing the cable you need some sort of lever arm below the floor. anyway go look at your car real close and you will understand why the center pivot pedal is a joke. the pic is confusing because i also added a throttle lock so i can set the pedal at any position by pulling a knob on the dash. this system is TRICK if i do say so and i recomend it to you!
    ps ialso found barefoot was better for feel. with the wakes from jumbo cruisers here i am constanly trying stab the gas at critical times to reduce porpoising. hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast