Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am leaving the house!

LHC Kirby
    Time to go back to the Rat race... our time in LHC is over for this trip. Water was great, weather was perfect. This being our first "Full summer" in our home, looking for some advice, what to do, and any what NOT to do - helpful hints would help. Thanks.
    When leaving your home in the desert, what kind of "prep work" do you do?
    Some leave buckets of water through out the house-
    some leave the A/C on along with that (set for mid 90's) and the A/C dries the air out - reason for the buckets. This to prevent the wood cabinets from cracking/drying out.
    Anyone do anything different and reasons for same would be appreciated.
    Leaving LHC in 2 hours 22 minutes (@10:30pst)

Mr.Havasu
    We use to do the same, Buckets for moisture and leave the air on at 90. Also use to turn the water heater off at the breaker box. and make sure the washing machine water is turned off. wouldn't want a hose to break and flood the house while you are away. Happened to a neighbor accross the street. they had to replace all the drywall in the entire house. and the cabinets and the carpet- over 25K in damage.

waterboy
    set AC at 90, fill a couple buckets with water and we have a water shut off in garage to shut off all water in house but sprinklers still work.

phebus
    Hey Kirby, I hope you had a great trip. When we leave, we set the air mid 90's, but we don't leave any buckets of water. Instead, we just leave the toilet seats up. The water evaporates, but we have never retuned when they have been even close to dry.

shueman
    Good stuff. Never thought about the water thing....Might help my pressboard cupboards in the double-wide..!!!

phebus
    Originally posted by LHC Kirby
    Time to go back to the Rat race... our time in LHC is over for this trip. Water was great, weather was perfect. This being our first "Full summer" in our home, looking for some advice, what to do, and any what NOT to do - helpful hints would help. Thanks.
    Stock the refrigerator full of beer, and leave the key under the mat

LHC Kirby
    Well, back at home, left the water buckets out. I did shut off the water heater at the breaker, and each toilets shut-off. Dam- forgot the washer machine hoses - - well I have the metal braided ones, they should hold. ... yes Rick the Fridge is full of beers; Corona, Bud light, Coors Light, Olympia and "Summer Ale" . . . . Oh darn forgot to leave the key under the mat

summerlove
    Originally posted by phebus
    Hey Kirby, I hope you had a great trip. When we leave, we set the air mid 90's, but we don't leave any buckets of water. Instead, we just leave the toilet seats up. The water evaporates, but we have never retuned when they have been even close to dry.
    I do the exact same thing! Smart guys those FF'ers!

Sun burners
    TURN OFF THE CEILING FANS!
    I have came back after a couple of weeks with the fans running!
    Also I installed a programed timer for the lights its nice to pull up to at night!

phebus
    Since there are times we like to go out on the water as soon as we get there, we like to stock the refrigerator before we leave. That way we can stock the ice chest with cold drinks hook up the boat, and go. Saves a trip to the store. We also fuel the boat when were done for the same reason.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast