Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: flying lessons

dimarcobros
    Anyone ever take flying lessons? How much do they run?
    DMB

78Eliminator
    About $140 per lesson including plane rental.
    Oh, and, it's better to go with the more expensive flight school that uses well maintained planes. One place you don't want to have mechanical failure, is 5,000 ft. in the air......
    Also, get an instructor with over 500 hours. NEVER get a newbie instructor with 200ish.

dimarcobros
    How many lessons before you get your license?
    DMB

78Eliminator
    Originally posted by dimarcobros
    How many lessons before you get your license?
    DMB
    You want about 60 hours AT LEAST before your check ride. Each lesson is about 1-1.5 hours flight time. Try to fly twice a week, maybe three times.

dimarcobros
    Do you have yours?

78Eliminator
    I have 40 hours, never took my check ride. Had two close calls that made me see Jesus. Decided to call it quits for now.
    I will probably get back to it in a few years. I went to a bottom of the barrel school. We had to top off the oil in the plane every time cause it was eating oil. Also the leading edge of one wing was all dented up from hitting birds, so when we were doing stall recovery testing, one wing would ALWAYS stall before the other since the aerodynamic characteristics were dissimilar between the two wings (one wing would lose lift before the other and you would end up practically upside down).
    On my birthday, I did a stall, and recovered. The instuctor said I was recovering too early and I told him to do a stall and show me how long to hold it. Well, he stalled the airplane, we went into a free fall, then upside down, then into the spins, he broke the spin, then broke the stall with 500 ft. to spare. I thought I was dead for sure.
    Like I said, fly good airplanes, in good mechanical and structural condition.

dimarcobros
    Wow, makes me think twice about going throug with it. Although it would make the river trips much better.
    DMB

78Eliminator
    How would it make the river trips better? Are you thinking of getting a license to fly out there?

Sleek-Jet
    Originally posted by 78Eliminator
    I have 40 hours, never took my check ride. Had two close calls that made me see Jesus. Decided to call it quits for now.
    I will probably get back to it in a few years. I went to a bottom of the barrel school. We had to top off the oil in the plane every time cause it was eating oil. Also the leading edge of one wing was all dented up from hitting birds, so when we were doing stall recovery testing, one wing would ALWAYS stall before the other since the aerodynamic characteristics were dissimilar between the two wings (one wing would lose lift before the other and you would end up practically upside down).
    On my birthday, I did a stall, and recovered. The instuctor said I was recovering too early and I told him to do a stall and show me how long to hold it. Well, he stalled the airplane, we went into a free fall, then upside down, then into the spins, he broke the spin, then broke the stall with 500 ft. to spare. I thought I was dead for sure.
    Like I said, fly good airplanes, in good mechanical and structural condition.
    Here's a news flash, any plane will spin, regardless what's on the leading edge. A spin is caused by uncordinated flight, whether it's caused by a contaminated leading edge or not. Keep the ball centerd with your feet, it'll stall straight ahead, and stay there.
    Your instuctor sucks.
    I learned to fly part 61, didn't go through a part 141 school. Big shops do lousy maint. as well, trust me.
    Learing to fly will be one of the greatest accomplishments of your life, go for it. Just do your homework on the schools and instructors, better yet find a mentor through Be-A-Pilot, he/she can help you sort through the B.S.

dimarcobros
    You got it. It would takeme 45 minuts to fly out there compared to 4 hours of driving. It has been running through my head so i wanted to get more info on it. The lessons are one thing but then there is also the plane issue. have no idea about them or how to work on them.
    DMB

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast