Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know anything about Mantra Tunnels??

ShowDown
    I saw another thread where a guy here in Texas has a nice looking Mantra tunnel hull for sale and I have never seen one before nor do I know anything about them, so I was hoping some of y'all here on the boards could tell me a little about them. Are they an original or a splash? If they are a splash what were they splashed from? Handling characteristics, what kind of speeds are they built for and who built them? Thanks in advance!

honkey1
    I don't know anything about the MANTRA but, I do know from looking at the pics of the one for sale that it is a splash of a tx-19 or the famous california performance 19. They are good fast hulls but I don't know how well Mantra built them.

Jake W
    What thred are you guys refering to?
    First is it s Gullwing or Tunnel?
    If it is a Gullwing (See the famous Youngblood TX 19)or (CP 19)it would make a good lake boat asuming it is not a really light lay up.I have seen other Mantras and they were built well.
    If it is a Tunnel it is probely a race only deal.
    Jake

Going on the assumption that this is the boat? I figured since this one's for sale in Texas and you're from there..............anyway, here's a picture.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...antra6-med.JPG
    Looks like a tunnel.

BigBoyToys
    Yeah, I saw that boat for sale in the other thread. My immediate thought was why it only runs 78-80 mph I was thinking that it may be a heavy layup, at least heavier than similar hulls. It's a nice boat but I don't know much about them. If it is a heavier layup, it MIGHT be ok for the lake, but otherwise, I'd shy away from it, It looks like a CP Tunnel and those will jump out and bite ya if you get off the throttle too fast. I'm still a little leary of why it only does 78-80 though. That bottom design is made to be going over 100 for optimal conditions. It needs the speed to get the air under it. Maybe it needs more motor???? I've owned a CP Tunnel and tried to use it as a dual purpose (Lake/Race) boat and never again. They are made for racing, that's it. Otherwise everything mentioned above, it's a good deal at $7500.00 since it looks like a clean boat in good condition. If you get it, first thing I'd do is put them plug wires under the headers and dump that rear mount/tow rope(?) thing.

MidnightMantra
    I own two Mantra jet boats, Tim Speer in Georgia has the molds to the Gullwing like that one. They are well built boats. And I have no complaints from my two. Mine have a heavy lay up which restricts my speed, but they handle very well, ride smooth, and they have taken some abuse sometimes when the water is rough.

Jake W
    MidnightMantra the RED boat above is a tunnel not a gullwing.
    If you could use the tunnel Mantra as a lake boat it would be a bas ass looking lake boat but it looks really close to the CP tunnel witch is not a good lake boat do they have a front shot?
    Jake

MidnightMantra
    I will be water testing my Mantra that I restored over the winter this weekend, I put a 650hp engine in it, I will post my GPS when Im done, Im hoping for 75-80.

wrightnow
    Originally posted by MidnightMantra
    I will be water testing my Mantra that I restored over the winter this weekend, I put a 650hp engine in it, I will post my GPS when Im done, Im hoping for 75-80.
    I have a 18 cp gullwing that I was running 650hp and seeing speeds around 95. So I would think you should do better than 75-80...Good luck.
    Mark

PLACECRAFT20
    HEY GUYS,
    IM GLAD SOMEONE ELSE HAS HEARD OF A MANTRA. ILL TRY TO ANSWER SOME OF THE QUESTIONS. I BOUGHT THE BOAT TO SELL. THE ORIGINAL OWNER SAID THE MOTOR WAS DYNOED AT 800HP AND HAD ALL THE BAD ASS PARTS. (YOU ALL HAVE HEARD THIS STORY). ANYWAY, THE BOAT WAS EXCEPTIONALLY CLEAN FOR A JET IN THIS PART OF THE COUNTRY SO I BOUGHT IT. I WAS NOT BELIEVING THE MOTOR STORY. I RAN THE BOAT AND IT HAD A MISS OR A STUMBLE AT 4900RPM. THAT WAS ALL THE MOTOR WOULD TURN. THE CARB AND IGNITION ARE IN GOOD SHAPE SO I BELIEVE THE VALVE SPRINGS ARE WEAK FROM SITTING UP FOR 2 OR THREE YEARS. I WILL BE REPLACING THESE THIS WEEK. I REALY THINK THIS IS ONLY A 450 OR MAYBY 500HP MOTOR. IT HAS RECTANGULAR PORT CLOSED CHAMBER HEADS BY THE CASTING NUMBERS. THE BLOCK CASTING NUMBERS COULD BE A TWO BOLT OR A FOUR BOLT BLOCK. THE CARB WAS SUPOSED TO BE A 850DP, IT TURNED OUT TO BE A 750DP. IT DOES HAVE A BRONZE IMPELLER AND SOME KIND OF BAD ASS LOOKING LOADER GRATE. AS FAR AS THE HANDLEING, I DONT THINK A FIRST TIMER NEEDS TO RUN IT WITH OUT SOME PRACTICE. IT DROVE TO ME LIKE A BOAT THAT YOU DID NOT WANT TO JUMP OFF THE THROTTLE OR MAKE ANY MISTAKES AT SPEED. I HOPE THIS CLEARS SOME THINGS UP. FEEL FREE TO ASK ANY MORE QUESTIONS. THANKS MITCH (PLACECRAFT20)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast