Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much hp can I get out of logs?

The Advantage has a bbf, closed engine with Hardin logs. I kinda like having a cruiser, and I guess that means keeping the TT logs. Question is, I'll be hitting the wall soon, and the logs will be the reason. How much can I expect get out of this setup before headers are mandatory? Lightnings aren't even close to being in the budget, either.

wsuwrhr
    50 HP, after that you are done. You need headers, quit cryin, go buyin...
    Brian

Don't you have shavings to make or something?

Rev. Williams
    Originally posted by roostwear
    The Advantage has a bbf, closed engine with Hardin logs. I kinda like having a cruiser, and I guess that means keeping the TT logs. Question is, I'll be hitting the wall soon, and the logs will be the reason. How much can I expect get out of this setup before headers are mandatory? Lightnings aren't even close to being in the budget, either.
    Depending on the construction of your logs you may have alot to gain by hogging the backend of the logs out. My logs had a small 3" exit and I took a die grinder to it (smoothed and opened it) and fitted a 4" exhaust line over the outside. I then ran the Rex Marine 4" exhaust tips thru the transom and that opened my boat up real nice !!!! It does make it a bunch louder!! But if your tips are below the water line at idle, it's not too bad.

cyclone
    forget the wall. the logs are hurting you no matter what level you're at.
    if you set on having the engine cover, i'd looking into a set of TT headers. Bassett makes them and i think a bunch of other companies do to.

Rev. Williams
    Originally posted by cyclone
    forget the wall. the logs are hurting you no matter what level you're at.
    if you set on having the engine cover, i'd looking into a set of TT headers. Bassett makes them and i think a bunch of other companies do to.
    Oh they make um, but the cost for that gain is high !!! $1,200 - $1,800
    To hog out and go to 4" you talking about $250 and a few hours work.

cyclone
    the logs are restrictive not just at the collector but at the primary's too. the exhaust is forced to make a hard left turn out of the ports into the logs which is no bueno. headers would be much better. you're right though, they are mucho dinero.

riverbound
    Originally posted by Rev. Williams
    Depending on the construction of your logs you may have alot to gain by hogging the backend of the logs out. My logs had a small 3" exit and I took a die grinder to it (smoothed and opened it) and fitted a 4" exhaust line over the outside. I then ran the Rex Marine 4" exhaust tips thru the transom and that opened my boat up real nice !!!! It does make it a bunch louder!! But if your tips are below the water line at idle, it's not too bad.
    I just did this to my boat and it actually was quieter

Rev. Williams
    Originally posted by riverbound
    I just did this to my boat and it actually was quieter
    What length exhaust tip did you get? I ran the angle cut 10" and it sounds pretty bad ass (if I do say so myself)

riverbound
    I didnt actually do a tip I used the big bells.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast