Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: advice from BLOWNDRAGBOAT

kanedog
    BLOWNDRAGBOAT:I have read some of your posts and I see that you have a great deal of knowledge of hi-perf motors.I would appreciate any comments that you may have (or advice) about the following story. Being a new ***boat owner I am not looking to argue or debate because my knowledge of what and how combinations will or will not work is just about nill.
    My wife and I have purchased a new Eliminator Daytona 26ft cat. The boat is a blank(paint & upholstery only). The local performance shop is going to rig it here.The shop has a motor that was built for someone who lost interest at the end of summer and also ran out of money(boat repo'ed). The motor never made it into his boat. The motor is as follows:
    540 blown intercooled 1100 hp
    callies 4340 premium crank internally balanced
    je forged pistons-anti friction coatings
    ceramic top coat
    kryptonite 6.385 long rods
    fluid dampner balancer
    billet steel flywheel
    GM mk 6 race prepped block
    bronze lifter bores
    crane billet cam(solid roller) .714 lift
    crane solid roller lifters
    crane gold pro rockers.ferria.
    .190 exhaust .2250 intake
    comp cam's stud girdle
    dart 360 full port cylinder heads(polished outside)
    arp fasteners:head studs,main cap studs,rocker studsetc
    14 qt. offshore race oil pan,windage tray,oilpump&p/u
    14/71 littlefield blower kit
    superchiller intercooler
    2 X 1300 cfm c&j race prepped blower carbs
    Mike Kuhl carb inline spacer
    stainless steel braided fuel lines
    stainless steel braided oil filter and mount
    Stainless polished croossover kit
    billet polished pulleys
    complete marinized minus exhaust
    never been started
    price includes dyno run
    $28,000
    Questions:
    I want to run on pump gas. Most of our boating will be in freshwater(lakes mostly). We wuold like to run this motor at 800hp with a smaller pulley.Set up correctly, will this be a reliable motor?
    Is this a good price?
    Will this combination work?(motor is already built)
    What maintenance should regularly be performed?
    We are thinking IMCO extreme drive?We spent too much to go #6 drive. What do you recommend?It will be getting stellings ext. box.
    This is a long post but any or all answers are appreciated as we need all the help and advice we can get. In turn this will help us make important decisions that we may otherwise have no education about.(motors that is)
    thank you in advnce,
    Kanedog

DEL51
    Can anyone else give their input on this subject?DEL51

kanedog
    yes, please do bye all means. Every piece of info helps.

Craig
    One hell of a motor there, that ought to get you over 70, AND THEN SOME http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif Unless you're into adjusting your valves every 4th or 5th trip out, I'd go with a hydraulic roller cam.
    Your use of pump gas will depend on ignition timing, boost level and static compression ratio. I run 34 degrees advance locked in, 8# boost and 9.2 compression. I run AV-gas all the time for safety's sake. Av-gas is good insurance, just a pain in the butt to run to the airport sometimes. Now Havasu, where it's at the Circle K...that's easy! You could easily tune that motor down to your required level and have a good ride.
    My boats a little lighter then yours (22') with 878 HP and my drive is alive (so far) If I were doing it again, or when I EVENTUALLY break the Bravo, I'll go with the straight cut XR gears, they seem to be the best thing out there at this point.
    Craig

Unchained
    If you want to know if that is a good price on the engine add up all of the individual components prices. Get a Summit or Jeg's catalog for some prices. There are some guys on the classified parts section of Dragboats.com that have some good prices on new blowers. I think you will be surprised that the total components price is far less than the $ 28k sale price.
    Your last line says you have no education about engines. Engines of that caliber need a certain amount of tinkering to stay in top tune. If you are not into engine tuning you may regret buying a HP monster like that.

Havasu Hangin'
    Do you know the duration on the cam? Do you have the Crane part#? Idle quality is underappreciated until you put a cam in that is too big. Race guys usually don't care about docking too much.
    I agree on the cam comment. Hydraulic rollers are good up to around 6,000RPMs. Most engine builders go with solid rollers for the steep ramps and high RPMs.
    BTW- a bigger pulley will make the blower turn slower- less boost.

kanedog
    Thanks for info so far guys. I'll check on the duration today and post tonight.

Infomaniac
    kanedog: Not knowing the rest of the cam specs I suspect it is a bit too much. You will not be happy with a cam that really thumps at idle. It sounds cool but not good for putting a sterndrive in gear, surge at idle is not good on the drive either.
    I would decide what RPM you plan to run the engine and select a cam with 114* lobe separation with that RPM range. Hydraulic roller was good advice.
    Also I see the potential for problems turning a 14-71 blower with a fluid damper balancer. I would double key the crank and run a blower hub. Been there done that.
    I would talk with the carb. folks about the application you plan to use them and see what they have to say.
    unchained: Have you ever looked at Doug Herbert for parts?

missboatnam1
    hey kanedog,call george at clay smith cams,he's really know his shit and will help you with any ?'s you have. as far as cams george put a solid in my blower motors.he told me i only need to adjust the valves once a year,so at the end of summer i would back all my valves down so my springs could relax all winter no sence having them work all winter.at the beginging of summer ajust my valves and i was ready to roll.

racingrascal
    Sounds like one hell of a motor. I am by no means "an engine builder". But I did just have a motor built for my 19' picklefork that I am having built. We used BRE (Beck Racing Engines) They are in AZ. You might want to give them a call. Because you could save some money and still get a 800 hp motor from them, they also offer a 6 month warranty that comes with their motors. Then you wouldn't be paying for something your not going to use. One thing to with a 1471 blower I think they have to do something with the distributor because it won't fit with that long of a blower. BTW I didn't see the compresion ratio on there? I know BRE offers 900-1,000 hp engines maybe even more and they run on pump gas.
    Andy

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast