Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wakeboard Question ???

JAM
    I'm considering buying a wakeboard for the Mrs. soon, but as first time wakeboarders/long time skiers, I'm not real sure on how to match the size of the board to the user.
    It seems like most models come in at least two sizes, but what's the cutoff. The Mrs. is petite, but I don't want the board too small to where I can't use it. I'm sure my 7 yr old son will be on it too. Are there any other considerations?
    I would also consider purchasing a good condition, used board if there are any sellers out there.
    Thanks in advance for the help.

eliminatedsprinter
    Unless they are already good boarders get the larger size. It may be a little less responsive and manuverable in the air, but it will be much easier to get up on and ride than a smaller board with similer charicteristics.

kevnmcd
    We have two boards. My wife, son (10 yrs) and daughter (6 yrs) share one. It is a 134 cm and a very forgiving, easy to ride board. It does everything that a beginner would like to do. My board is a 142 cm and much more aggressive than the other. Until the rest of them get bigger and start to do more in the way of tricks, they will stay with the other board. Besides, the bindings that I have on my board are too big for them at this time. Hope that helps.

kevnmcd
    Something you might consider, is going to Chick's. They will let you demo different boards and then will apply the rental fee to the cost of the board if you like it and buy it. I did this on several different boards until I found the one I like. Just my .02

CustomCruiser
    For beginning riders, I would get a board that does not have a lot of rocker built in. Not sure if there is a measurement of rocker on the board or not, so ask about this before you buy. The more rocker you have, the faster and more squirrelly the tail will be, which will make learning how to hold an edge and crossing the wake more difficult.

JAM
    Thanks for your input guys

DeltaSigBoater
    Stay away from sporting goods stores, like sprotsmart, big 5, sports chalet, etc., etc. The thing I've found out is that they might have an ok selection at so-so prices, but the sales people dont know jack about how to size up a person for a wake board.
    I ride a Hyperlite Motive 140, and they sales guy at SC was telling me that the best board for me would be a 130 to 133.
    I'm 5'10 @ 145lbs & have been boarding for several years and on top of that I'm a Wakeboard Instructor.
    If you sent me some Info (height, weitht, age, and riding ability) of yourself, wife and son I'd be more than happy to help you out.

got river?
    If you know what brand you are looking for, I would check out the mfg's website for info on size's and weights. Also, check out Wakeworld.com board wizard. It can help give you some options and choices. http://www.wakeworld.com/Wizard/Boards.asp
    Good luck!

RacerX
    #1 - Check out the "wizard" at Wakeworld.com
    #2 - If you live near a Chick's, go DEMO, DEMO, DEMO some boards. The shop near me only has the Hyperlite boards to demo but they are all top of the line and by far the #1 selling brand. For $15, you can demo the best boards and bindings to see what you like....
    #3 - I agree about the cheezo sporting goods stores....
    **Boards all have different characteristics as well....some pop you up higher off the wake, some land softer, some will hold a rail to carve thru the water. You have to DEMO them to see what you like....
    **Based on the limited info you gave, I think your 7 year old needs her own board but if you don't want to fork out the $$, I'd bet a 131-134 for the wife and kids, then a 138-142 for you
    -------------------------------------
    I'm 5-8, 180 and ride the Hyperlite Premier 140
    My 10 & 12 year old ride a Hyperlite Motive 119
    and
    I have a "boat board" for guests and that's a Hyperlite Motive 140

shadow
    JAM, I've got a wake board I,m looking to get rid of,don,t know if I,t would work for you or not.only used it a couple of times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast