Thread: Whittier Man Dies In Lake Mead Accident

Kwicherbichen
    Whittier Man Dies In Lake Mead Accident
    Thursday, May 13, 2004
    Log News Service- A Whittier man died May 10 on Lake Mead while attempting to swim from a swamped boat to a houseboat.
    A National Park Service official said that around 11 a.m. on May 10, high winds swamped a small boat occupied by Derrick R. Diltz, 24, and another man. Both men put on life jackets and attempted to stay with the boat.
    Around noon, Diltz saw a houseboat. He left his friend and the boat and began swimming toward the houseboat. That was the last time he was seen alive, National Park Service rangers said.
    The Park Service said that Diltz was at Lake Mead with about 15 other people from a church group. Some members of the group rented a houseboat, and Diltz and another man set out in a small private boat. Both vessels were headed for Callville Bay.
    The remaining members of the group drove from Echo Bay to Callville Bay to meet the two boats. At 8 p.m. on May 10, they notified the Parks Service that the boats had not arrived as scheduled.
    Severe wind conditions, including gusts of more than 60 mph, prevented it from initiating a search at that time, the National Park Service said.
    Around 7 a.m. May 11, rangers located the houseboat at Middle Point. No major injuries were reported among the occupants.
    Rangers found DiltzÂ’ body around 10:30 a.m. on the Nevada side of Lake Mead, near Cormorant Rock.

mmered8299
    I only go out on calm days and expect the worst. Ifs its blowing, stay home. Poeple need to respect the waters at Mead for they can turn on you. I wonder how far the house boat was away from this guy?

Kachina26
    I was out in a houseboat in 6' + rollers, my very first time captaining ANY vessel. I didn't go back to mead for years. I feel terrible for the family of this man, that lake can turn on you in a minute and if you panic and do something silly like try to make it accross, it can cost you your life.

Kilrtoy
    THat is a sad story, feel for the family

THOR
    I can attest to Mead, it has the worst conditions when windy. I have personally seen over five boats go down. Big ones too.
    What a tragedy.

Debbolas
    That is terrible, poor soul....

Mohavekid
    What a shame.

DeltaSigBoater
    WOW... I guess I'm not the only person on the boards that reads the LOG Newspaper.
    I have seen it go from 100s w/ a few clouds in the sky and glass conditions to the Perfect Storm in a matter in less that 1 hour.
    I've taken 6' swells over the bow leading a convoy of boats back to temple bar.
    I have great respect for mother nature.

rude235
    THAT SUX!! my heart goes out to the family.