Thread: First Test Found A Bad Water Leak "Help Me" !!

MidnightMantra
    Well after six months of working on the boat, took it out the first time and found it had a bad water leak. After 15 miles up the river running 3500 rpm's breaking the engine in. I let off the throttle and "guess what" wet ankles. I emmediately shut down and went to look behind the seat and the bilge was full halfway up the oil pan. The bilge pump obviously could not keep up with the amount coming in. Therefore I let the pump run, empty the bilge out and I turned and headed back to the ramp. Loaded up and took it home. Once I got there I found that there was water coming out of the bottom of the boat between the intake and the hull. Pouring out more like it, also the 10 or so screw bolts that are under there, 3 of theme had water coming out. I see that there is some type of white filler, a hard epoxy type substance filled in between the intake and hull. What do I need to do to eliminate all the water getting inside?

Nucking futs
    Reseal the intake

Moneypitt
    Wow, thats pretty gutsy to take a "test" ride that far from the safety of the ramp. Do yourself a favor and stay a little closer to the trailer when "testing". As far as your leak goes, is it from the grate to hull, or the grate to suction section of the jet. Since you said it was leaking under the boat, that would be the sealing between the hull and the grate and entails quite a bit of work if the grate was epoxyed in when the boat was made. They're tough to get out/off.....be sure where the leak is before doing anything........Moneypitt

MidnightMantra
    it is leaking on the most outer part of the intake/suction housing. Has anyone ever ground the old epoxy out a bit and resealed the bottom that way? Looks like the old epoxy was laid in about 1/8" inch thick. Looks like I could cut or dremil it out and re-epoxy it. Then fill the bolt holes that the bolts are recessed into and epoxy them full also.

I had a similar leak. It was coming in between the pump and intake. I found it by filling the bilge ( boat on trailer) and laying under the boat until I found the leak.

Moneypitt
    MM, do you have compressed air? I would get under the boat, blow it very dry, and have someone fill the bildge with the hose. Using abright light,(Sunshine with a mirror) watch closely at the junction of the jet housings.....(Unless it just gushes out the grate sealing area) once it starts to leak it will fool you as to where its actually coming from. To reseal the actual bottom, use marine tex epoxy......but it's gotta be clean.....I've never seen one develope a leak at the grate, if it didn't leak from the start....More likely the jet housing conection as stated here eariler......Moneypitt

BK
    Had the same problem last year. Didnt leak the before but started leaking half way through the season. I just chipped away and sanded the aria were it was leaking till alll the loose stuff was gone and blew out all the water with air till it was dry. Then I used 3M 5200 around the hole intake, didnt have a drop come through the rest of the season.