Thread: Separate the pump..?

Back Forty
    I'm in the process of cleaning up the pump on my skiff and am having trouble separating the bowl from it's flange. I've got all of the bolts out. I just want to ask if I am missing something or just fighting the gasket?
    I took some pics.
    The impellor has a ding but I think it appears alright otherwise..?
    It's an A that has been through Don's Pump Service for one of his "blueprint" jobs. There doesn't seem to be any noticable wear problems...
    I'm just stripping the paint for new and regasketing. And also dealing with the BIG RTV JOB applied by a previous owner.
    Anybody got any input on the separation?

Back Forty
    impellor

Back Forty
    another

RandyH
    I would guess you might be stuck on the shaft and bowl bearing. Dont know how to help you . Here is a parts breakdown that might give you ideas. Somebody on here has a photo of a cutaway pump that would show all this for you.
    http://www.americanturbine.com/image...jc_diagram.gif
    Good Luck,
    RandyH

Back Forty, keep in mind that the bowl registers fairly snugly to a raised lip on the suction housing and that there is a gasket between the two. I'm betting the combination of a gasket that is bonded to both parts and a tight fitting bowl are what is holding things together. Hopefully, since I see a LOT of silicone residue, some misguided individual didn't use gasket adhesive on bowl-to-housing gasket.
    My suggestion. Reinstall 3 or 4 of the bolts, running them up until they almost touch the suction housing(1/32-1/16"). Using a block of wood to protect the bowl, gently tap around the bowl at the nozzle end to attempt to break it free. Use common sense about how hard you work it!!! Once it starts coming free, you can loosen the bolts further, and give it a shake. Just leave them in enough to keep you from falling on your ass if the bowl pops loose. If this idea doesn't work, you may well be looking at the problem Randy suggested.
    Good luck.

Back Forty
    Thanks guys.
    Thats what I was needing. I'll get to it here shortly. I had to come into work this morning to get a couple of things done. I'm just about out of here. :yuk:

RandyH
    Found this photo finally . Had it at work. Hmmm. I may need to work harder.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...508cutaway.jpg
    RandyH

Back Forty
    Thanks Randy.
    I was able to remove it without to much issue last night. Here are the pics. I'm getting ready to blast the exterior of the bowl and all of the other stuff tonight. Bought that hideous Zinc something er other primer and some outboard (whacker) white for a somewhat factory berk look. Ordered the new gaskets and cables for the bucket and diverter as well. I forsee about two weeks before it is all back together and ready for the water. I'm excited to finally clean up the transom on this thing. Other than the obvious time and it's toll, this boat cleans up very well. Now the pump area will be correct as well.
    Don left his mark....

Back Forty
    Impellor