Thread: Performance Options - Campion Chase 910i w/ 7.4MPI Twins

DownUnder_Chase910i
    Hi everyone, I'm a newB on this forum, saying hello all the way from DownUnder Melbourne, Australia. We have just bought a 2000Model Campion Chase 910i with twin 7.4MPI Mercs from Michigan, and awaiting it's delivery into my country "about 6-8 weeks: ....
    My question is, this will be the only one of it's kind in the country (Australia) and we want to give it a bit more go, apparantley at the moment it's estimated to get to 75-80mph, it has the silent choice system and makes 350hp per motor, and 395hp per motor with the silent choice. We were thinking of slapping on some blowers from Procharger, but hoping someone may be able to give us a little advice on getting some more reliable horsepower out of her. Like I said, no-one in Australia nows much about the Campions, so appreciate any help.
    PS: twistedpair reccomended something about the rotational assembly.. can someone elaborate on that also.
    Cheers
    Simon

Infomaniac
    Simon,
    I do not want to seem too negative but that engine is the least receptive engine to power adding components. Do not add boost to that engine.
    If you are intent on adding power I would suggest on allowing someone else from Melborne to be the only owner of such engines. Buy something different to put some power to.
    Heads, rods and pistons all are only designed to handle stock power.

DownUnder_Chase910i
    Infomaniac,
    No problems, but can I ask why? Is there a particular issue with the 7.4's, because forum memer "twistedpair" gave me that indication aswell but he was talking about the 7.4 carby model.

Infomaniac
    I have one of these engines in Mrs. Infomaniac's Ultra 23XS. 2001 model, one of the last.
    They have very small peanut port heads, very weak pistons and rods.
    The engine runs nice but is not built for any more power than the factory setting.
    Call Whipple and ask them their opinion.

powerplay230
    Info' aren't those the base model MPI engines, thought they were rated at 310+_ Hp with cast pistons, small rods and cast crank along with GM's truck heads on them (small valve and port). Speeds they told you sound pretty optimistic Down Under. I have read some good things about these boats but seem to remember most tests with the 7.4's they ran low to mid 60's. Supposed to be good boats just have to get some power in them. Info' the 7.4 MPI isn't the newer version of the magnum 7.4? that came with bigger rods, forged pistions and crank and rect port heads.
    My advise run it for a season to get comfortable with it, then sell those engines and get something ready to add some power to.
    Then again I am the resident idiot!
    Good luck with your new boat, wish I had one..
    Rick