Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking at an old bubbledeck, Help

RIPPINGNOLEGSKROKER
    I am looking at a 1978 rodgers, It looks real nice in the pics but what specifics should I look for. Stringers, It has a berkley pump arethere any pumps to stay away formWhat is a good impeller for this boat? Is 75mph realistic with 550Hp. Is insurance an issue with old over transom boats. I have jet boated my whole life but always slow family cruisers. Thanks
    Here is link http://speedomotive.com/JOHN%20STARK%20BOAT%20SALE.htm

BrendellaJet
    looks like a nice boat. I think the only pump to stay away from would be the E pump, but only if you are trying to go fast, otherwise it should be fine. That pump does not appear to be an E though. That is a lot of money for a 26 year old boat, make sure you test drive and look it over. As long as you are happy with the performance/paint and motor, about the only thing left is the electrical and the stringers. Make sure there is no cracking where they meet the hull and that the glass is not delaminating... It would cost a lot more to build that boat over again...

HavasuDreamin'
    Originally posted by RIPPINGNOLEGSKROKER
    Is 75mph realistic with 550Hp.
    Yes, but the first thing I would do is take it to a reputable pump man because it appears as though he put all his money in the motor and paint, not the pump. It needs a ride plate, shoe and blue printing at a minimum. Then you should see north of 75 mph if it is truly a 550 hp motor.
    Boat looks pretty nice aside from the wheels, and air scoop. $11,900 is steep for a 26' year old boat, but on the other hand, you can't refurbish one for that.

superdave013
    I bet that cover would cost ya over a grand.

that hull is not a rogers!

wrightnow
    I would be leary of the speed-o-motive motor, I know they list nice hp#'s for the buck, but I have seen a few of there motor not produce what they say and one did not hold up to more than one season...

if you look closely,... there are some similarities but definitly not a rogers....this is a 78' rogers.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...arview-med.JPG
    if this guy is telling you its a rogers... then i would take caution on the sale of this boat!
    it looks more like a bahner! but old rigger can tell you more about the hull that you are interested in!
    the strakes run way too far forward for it to be a rogers
    the barrell back is not round enough
    the roll from the ribbon to the deck is more like a bahner or a sanger super jet!
    and finally the gunnells are way too squared off!
    not trying to discourage you from the purchase but take a min. and step back....there are alot of nice boats out ther for way less money!
    if you have any questions about what ive typed,...please feel free and give me a call, i am about 10 min. from the boat that you are interested in!( whittier)
    todd
    626-991-9031

Heatseeker
    I wouldn't trust that Speed-O-Motive mill. My cousin bought a complete engine from them($13K!) and it blew up first tine on the water. Spun a main bearing. Apparently, the bearing was the wrong one. Speed-O-Motive claimed it was a "faulty installation" and wouldn't do anything for him. There were several members of this board who had similar experiences with them also.
    That fact coupled with the false claim of being a Roger's would preclude me from buying it!

coolchange
    Pass. I'm sure he could justify it on a piece by piece retail price level. The interior is junk. 12 K could get you a 21 ft v-drive cruiser (doh!).

RIPPINGNOLEGSKROKER
    Thanks for your help, It make my decsion easy, I will pass. Toddnjuzz your boat is beautiful. With the wealth on knowledge here does anyone know where a nice 18' bubble, a 21' daytona or 19' cp is for sale? Thanks again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast