Thread: Gear Vendor

cdog
    Has anyone tried a gear vendor on their truck. I've got a 03 3/4 ton suburban with the 8.1 and am not too impressed with the power as compared to my HD 8.1/allison I sold.
    The extra gears really make a big diff. when going up chrico summit.
    Still no duramax sub.

HammerDown
    I hear nothing but good about it. Go to www.thedieselstop.com and do a search.

Just Tool'n
    I used to have a GV in my 89 chevy dually, it made a diff in towing a 46ft enclosed race trailer, especilly on hills, like the grape vine.
    But no power diffrence.
    I was thinking of getting a new 2500HD, was looking at the duraMAX. Then I was thinking I could save money by getting a gas rig & putting a GV on it, but guess what, they do not make one for the allison tranny.
    The answer to your power question is to call
    Whipple superchargers, & put one on that will make that suburban much better. Then it will have the pulling torque you want.
    I just put one on my boat, made a huge diffrence.

cdog
    The new boat has wiped me out for a while. I was hopeing the gear vendor would make a difference. 1/4 th the price of a wipple.
    Do you have to run 91 octane with the wipple?

Just Tool'n
    91 octane, Why yes I do.
    There is a place here in Fresno that sells 100 octane VP right out of the pump, but at $4.50 a gallon I thought that might be over kill, espiscally since we built the motor to run on 91 octane. Shit 2.50 a gallon is bad enough, Damed OPEC!

cdog
    OUCH! My sub gets 87 octane untill prices come down.

STV_Keith
    If I had to buy an overdrive or underdrive, I would only consider a US Gear.
    The USG units are electrically switched and will stay in direct or the OD/UD gear. They will not shift out of OD/UD when oil pressure drops (because of velocity drop) as the GV's will.
    We broke 2 GV's in 6 months towing a 5th wheel with a Dodge Ram. You likely don't have the 1000ft-lbs of torque the Cummins did, but it's a knock against them that they will not stand up to big torque like the USG units will.

cdog
    Is there a differance in price? I'm towing a 29ft shockwave with a 3/4 ton sub,8.1. The allison in my HD I sold kicked ass. That truck had the same power but had an extra gear and it made a big differance.