Thread: Be Aware! Boat Sellers I almost fell for this scam!!!

Highlimit9000
    Counterfeit Check Schemes
    JUST BECAUSE ITS A CASHIERS CHECK, DOESN'T MAKE IT 100% LEGITIMATE!
    Caught it on FBI Website before it occured! I Even spoke with the 3rd party buyer several times about the transaction...He was ready to send the check... It was going down exactly like the FBI warning states below...Be suspicious if it is anywhere outside US and they are looking for a boat and wanting to send a cashiers check with excess funds to be wired back to them for shipping and commision!
    A counterfeit or fraudulent cashierÂ’s check or corporate check is utilized to pay for merchandise. Often these checks are made out for a substantially larger amount than the purchase price. The victims are instructed to deposit the check and return the overage amount, usually by wire transfer, to a foreign country. Because banks may release funds from a cashier's check before the check actually clears, the victim believes the check has cleared and wires the money as instructed. One popular variation of this scam involves the purchase of automobiles listed for sale in various Internet classified advertisements. The sellers are contacted about purchasing the autos and shipping them to a foreign country. The buyer, or person acting on behalf of a buyer, then sends the seller a cashier's check for an amount several thousand dollars over the price of the vehicle. The seller is directed to deposit the check and wire the excess back to the buyer so they can pay the shipping charges. Once the money is sent, the buyer typically comes up with an excuse for canceling the purchase, and attempts to have the rest of the money returned. Although the seller does not lose the vehicle, he is typically held responsible by his bank for depositing a counterfeit check.

Prop Rod
    I actually had this happen to me. The check was made out for $5,000.00 over the sales price of the car. The check was sent to me made out by Delta Airlines. (for those who dont know major airlines dont issue cashiers checks) After receiving the check I cancelled the transaction until after the check cleared. Come to find out the check was completly fraudulent.
    The authorities said this type of bussines had calmed down for a while but is now on the rise more than ever.

HM
    I have my boat listed on several sites and I get e-mails every day like this. I recently posted a thread up in the Sand Bar about this exact same thing.
    Wire transfer and escrow account are the "STANDARD" for international deals. Anyone who avoids that is scamming you - regardless of international or not - unless they have cash!! (Look out for the Bill Clinton $3 dollar bills though!)

GofastRacer
    That is an old scam, you see that pulled on whatever you sell!..

Boatmike
    I may have been approched by someone like this possibly, they said they were form London England and wanted to purchase one of my boats. It seemed a little strange. Lucky for me I had already sold the boat in question.

Mikeracing077
    I had the same thing happen to me on my jet skiis I have for sale got your tip and I can't thank you enough for posting this. I contacted FBI and I'm letting them find them I really couldn't afford to get screwed out of them so thank you!!!!!!!!!!!! It was going down word for word of what you posted