Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Would 4 6x9's & 2 12's suffice?

rivercrazy
    I am also a happy camper when it comes to 6X9's in boats. I do believe that 6.5's can sound a little better. However, 6X9's are louder when powered sufficently IMO in a boating application.
    My Infinity Kappa 693.5i's are louder than my Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.5's despite getting less ampifier power. (130RMS versus about 90 RMS respectively)

ROZ
    I'm trying to think of any inexpensive dependable amps that have internal fans..... Last years PG Titaniums did, but they weren't inexpensive and they still go into termal protection when in tight quarters on a boat... Toby can vouch for that...
    I always recommend putting fans on on anything going into a boat and that will bedriven hard.
    Look at the:
    JBL PX300.4 and it's BPX500.1 for the subs
    Alpine MRVF340 and a MRPM350 for the sub
    JLAudio E6450 (economy 6 channel)and a JL 2501 for the sub
    DEI 250.4 and a 350D for the subs
    That's the few off the top of my head that I can think of...

MOBrien
    ROZ & river guys,
    thanks, once again you didn't disappoint with the quick feedback and I appreciate it. In an effort to save some room and work with the speaker holes that are already there, I am going with the 6.5's. How does a 4 channel amp run 6 speakers? Isn't that a recipe for overheating the amp? Also ROZ, what's an approximate cost comparison on those amps you were talkin about? For the wife, cost is a HUGE issue on this thing because in her mind "we don't need a thumpin stereo!!" Ohhhh, there's where you are wrong my dear, we absoutely DO need that!!
    Thanx again guys.
    -MOB

rivercrazy
    This is where it gets sticky with the $$$$ thing. IMHO you would be better off with more than one amp to drive those 6 speakers. I'd go with two 2 channel amps.....One that is 2 ohm stable driving 4 of the speakers and one other one driving the other two at 4 ohms.....

riverbound
    If cost is a really important issue buy one GOOD 5 or 6 channel amp and buy some good crossflow fans (the ones that are a long tube with fins) I have run this setup many time to 6 speakers and 1to 2 subs with no problems. I actually run this same setup in my moms boat.
    Head=alpine cda9827
    amp=PPI5440 (older model)
    mids& highs= 2 pr.eclipse 6.5, 1pr. eclipse 6x9
    Sub=Rockford 12"xlc
    This system works out really well and plays all day at the sandbar on 2 optima blue tops at party level.

MOBrien
    Riverbound,
    didn't you say that you just completed a 6x6.5 & 2x12 setup on two amps? But you don't recommend it? Am I confused here...please elaborate it you have a minute?
    Also,
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not lookin to put Jensen equip in this thing. I just don't have any need or desire to put competition grade stuff......it's just out of the Q in cost. Good middle of the road equip that'll satisfy me, the wife, and friends while sippin the goose out in the middle is what we're after. Extreme loudness is not the goal. Good, clean sound is....not eye-squinting & ear blaring volume.
    As for cooling. The area for amp installation is not enclosed. It is set back against the deck panel about 3-4 feet from the opening in front of the driver/passenger. In the walk through there is also a reach in hole that is about the size of two sheets of paper side-by-side. What I'm getting at is that there is plenty of ventilation and air flow through that area....that's where the subs are going too.
    -MOB

phebus
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by riverbound
    I actually run this same setup in my moms boat.
    [/QUOTE
    Hey, I'm running the same setup as riverbounds mom.
    Your friends will love it when you tell them that

phebus
    Originally posted by riverbound
    buy some good crossflow fans (the ones that are a long tube with fins)
    Riverbound, do you sell those fans? If so, can you post a picture and let me know what they cost?
    Thanks

riverbound
    Originally posted by MOBrien
    Riverbound,
    didn't you say that you just completed a 6x6.5 & 2x12 setup on two amps? But you don't recommend it? Am I confused here...please elaborate it you have a minute?
    -MOB
    If you are refering to the first boat I was talking about The customer would not listen to me and had to have the 6 6.5s The part I dont recommmend is the use of 6.5s where 6x9s will fit.
    In the case of my mom's boat there were factory locations where only 6.5s would fit.

ROZ
    Originally posted by phebus
    Riverbound, do you sell those fans? If so, can you post a picture and let me know what they cost?
    Thanks
    Not RB, but....
    http://www.sfxaudio.com/products/images/63278.jpg
    http://selectproducts.com/shopsite_s...edia/fan80.jpg www.Selectproducts.com has them for 27.00

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast