Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Amplifiers, which is best?

mbrown2
    I know this has been asked, but if you were upgrading amplifiers which brand and WHY is that brand so good?
    I am currently running 3100 watts of Rockford Fosgate amps, (2) 800-4 (110 x 4 each) and a 1500BD (1500 x 1); the two 4 channels go to 8 Pierced Coaxes, and the sub amp goes to 2 12 Rockford 2112 Subs....
    The amps have done good to this point, but they get hot....on really hot days, they might even go into thermal mode....Fans help, but not when it is hot...the sub amp specifically..
    I have heard opinions on every kind of amplifier, and with this question I expect more, that is why I not only want to know the brand, but why or what differentiates that brand to make it better or best?
    My step up brand ideas include JL, Autotech, Zapco, Diamond? I am looking for feedback on those or others that you feel may be better and WHY?....
    Your feedback is appreciated...

riverbound
    JL is one of the better amps around. The new Rockford Power series amps all have fans built into them we have used them a couple of times now and have seen no overheating problems like the older amps. I am a rockford fan but if you must use someone elses amps then go JL.

BoatFloating
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...C02115-med.JPG
    I haven't had a chance to run them yet, I have heard from people than run them hard and they play hot and all day. Don't even ask HH about Rockford's. That would be my choice for the money. When you play it hard do you open your hatch???

hd&boatrider
    I have nothing but JL in my boat..they pump hard all day and they never overheat. I have fans on the inside compartment and fans in my cabin I point straight into the vents
    JL for me and nothing else will do

mbrown2
    Originally posted by BoatFloating
    [IMG]When you play it hard do you open your hatch???
    Yes, I have started to...and it is not as bad with it open...I might not touch the amps, but if I was upgrading, I wanted some feedback from the folks that know their s h i t on here of what to run?

Havasu Hangin'
    I've run almost every brand at one time or another.
    RF used to be the best, but I think $/watt, there are others that have caught up. Add the heat factor, and I won't run them in a boat- just my opinion.
    JL are great amps. However, they are not true cheaters, so $/watt, they are expensive.
    If money were no object, I'd probably go Zapco.
    On a budget, JBLs are hard to beat for $/watt. They run cool, and hit as hard as any amp that the shops are pushing these days for 1/2 the price. For example, my old 1200 watt JBL was probably puttin out around 1300 watts (for around $300) and ran cool to the touch.
    Hard to beat, IMO.

SCUBA STEVE
    If I were to start from scratch I would go JL. I just had a Autotek 4 channel amp installed, (not for the subs) ran it hard all last weekend with no problems. (with a fan) We'll see how it does during OP6.

mbrown2
    Scuba, how did you like Car Toyz?
    Also, I am really liking the new Phoenix Gold Xenon line....2 amps only needed to drive my current setup. (1-1200.1 and 1-200.4).....with JL, I will need 3 ...2- 300.4, 1-1000.1
    Probably more efficient than my current amps...and I like the fact they have built in smart fans along with smart impedance and outputs...

jbtrailerjim
    I'm running Arc amps in my boat and have had no problem's with them. I also have one in my truck. I'm really happy with them so far.

ROZ
    I would Never run JL Audio or Zapco amps. They totall suck!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast