Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Amplifiers, which is best?

mbrown2
    Roz, do you carry the Zapco's now?
    What's your thoughts on PG?

ROZ
    Originally posted by mbrown2
    Roz, do you carry the Zapco's now?
    No, but I can get them through a buddy's shop....
    What's your thoughts on PG?
    Always liked them. They perform really well in Whipped's boat. Waiting to see what the Elite can do The Xenon sub ampsare pretty effecient...

SCUBA STEVE
    Scuba, how did you like Car Toyz?
    My experiance with Car toyz was a good one! I also forgot to add before I even gave them a dime, Frank took the time to get the #s off the head unit so I could activate my Sirus radio. I always had the equipment to do it, but I never got the #s from the original install. (I didnt know how to get the #s myself) That doesnt sound like much, but those little things always count in my book.

TOBTEK
    Scuba, how did you like Car Toyz?
    Also, I am really liking the new Phoenix Gold Xenon line....2 amps only needed to drive my current setup. (1-1200.1 and 1-200.4).....with JL, I will need 3 ...2- 300.4, 1-1000.1
    Probably more efficient than my current amps...and I like the fact they have built in smart fans along with smart impedance and outputs...
    MB......as you know im a huge PG fan! Even with my new set up 1200 mono and two 600x2's for all the seperates....its still heating up It takes alot to get there, but it still does it...big bummer after all the time and $$$$$ I have spent. Wish we all knew more about these new water cooled amp's...........

KACHINA KEN
    Another line to look at is PPI, I run (2) PCX-2400's they are commonly called "surfboards because they are 3 feet long! built in fans so they run real cool like the JL's.
    They are 1600 watts 2 ch Amps, # 1 is for 4 -12" subs run mono and the 2nd is for 8 MB Quart speakers 4 6x9's and 4 6 1/2 run stereo. it hurts, but in a good way..........
    Kenny

1stepcloser
    I am currently running 3100 watts of Rockford Fosgate amps, (2) 800-4 (110 x 4 each) and a 1500BD (1500 x 1); the two 4 channels go to 8 Pierced Coaxes, and the sub amp goes to 2 12 Rockford 2112 Subs....
    The amps have done good to this point, but they get hot....on really hot days, they might even go into thermal mode....Fans help, but not when it is hot...the sub amp specifically..
    I run RF as well, not as much power though, a power series 400.4 and a BD1000.1.
    The four channel goes to the 4 6.5's and the 1000 is on the 4 10's.
    My problem was with the four channel, last year, in the heat, it would shut down after only a few minutes of play at very high levels.
    The 1000.0 would be warm at best. Although last year it was running at 4 ohm's on 2 12's.
    With the new configuration, I have had the system playing for about 4 hours at party volume without shutting down, and several times it was turned way up....(Oh man, I love this song!).
    When I check the amps for heat, (nothing scientific, just touching them) The four channel is still hot, but nowhere near as hot as last year....the mono is now getting almost hot, as I run it at 2 ohm's.
    Fans, as well as controlling their flow across the amps, I believe have made the difference.
    I'm not really convinced that any one amp will survive more or less heat than another, under the same circumstances, ie; pushing them to near thermal limits, with ambient air temps in the 100's.

MASTERKENDOG
    not to be a thread ripper, but here's my 2 cents on Car Toyz...
    Nothing but awesome. Brent & Frank have done nothin' but take care of everything. I'm running 2 Autotek Amp's. 1000 watt for the subs and a 750 for the 8-6X9's. The rigging is top notch too! All I get is compliments all day from fellow H.B.er's about the quality and the loudness of the system.
    Had and issue with a remote pod and a speaker housing fell out. Called them up, told them I live in Cali, boats stored in Needles, your in Havasu, wadda we gonna do? So this is what happens...Brent drive to needles, picked up the boat on Wednesday, has it ready for me on Saturday morning and Frank asked if I was going out on the water right then, I says YES and he calls his associates to "Do a wipe down". Yes, they even wiped the boat down as I was picking it up. They called me 3 weeks later with follow up to see how everything was going with the install. They rock!!
    No problems with the Autoteks either, 120 degrees out and they run all day without getting hot. I had them for about 9 months!!
    iI cannot recommend them enough!!
    MKD

ROZ
    Originally posted by 1stepcloser
    (nothing scientific)
    Fans, as well as controlling their flow across the amps, I believe have made the difference.
    I'm not really convinced that any one amp will survive more or less heat than another, under the same circumstances, ie; pushing them to near thermal limits, with ambient air temps in the 100's.

okay Mr Wizard..
    I can't wait to hear that thing...

1stepcloser
    Originally posted by ROZ
    okay Mr Wizard..
    I failed science.

77charger
    i like my XTANT x604.It seems to run fine when turned up.I am currently running 1 L5(1ohm) sub,4 6x9s(2ohms)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast