Thread: Street carb to Marine?

powerplay230
    Hello,
    Have a spare Holley DP that needs to be rebuilt and I am wondering if it is possible during the process to be converted for marine use. I know they are some differences with the marine carbs- anyone have any experience with this?
    Thanks,
    Rick

Craig
    I know they have the J-tubes on each bowl and the throttle shafts have different bushing or seal. Might be something else as well. Be curious if by the time you have it rebuilt and converted if you couldn't get a new "marine" carb for that price or just a little more. Just a thought

Moneypitt
    The differences in a "marine" carb are for coast guard approval. If the boat has an enclosed engine/ covered engine the CG requires different venting and flooding prevention measures. The throttle shafts can't leak outside the carb, and the bowl vents must flood into the carb in the event of a stuck float or bad needle and seat. If your boat has an open engine, any carb is okay...........Moneypitt

wsuwrhr
    I agree with the marinizing on some deals.
    I run an open compartment, and my carb is straight from an auto application.
    Brian

powerplay230
    I knew about the J tubes, shafts and different venting, unfortunately my boat has an enclosed engine comp' so would want to stick with something made for those reasons. Just wondered how hard or expensive to convert. Good performance rebuild is $200 plus??? if it's even possible to change it. New Holley marine carb's start at $500 for little ones and run up towards a grand and this base is free so that's where the thought came from.
    Thanks guys !

dmontzsta
    Originally posted by Moneypitt
    The differences in a "marine" carb are for coast guard approval. If the boat has an enclosed engine/ covered engine the CG requires different venting and flooding prevention measures. The throttle shafts can't leak outside the carb, and the bowl vents must flood into the carb in the event of a stuck float or bad needle and seat. If your boat has an open engine, any carb is okay...........Moneypitt
    Really? dang, that is the first I have heard, I always thought I was not approved for running a street carb, but I am ok?