Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fiberglass fuel tank opinions....

WriedtStuff
    The boat I am restoring has a custom made fiberglass bow tank in it. I have been told not to use this tank even though I appears to be in pretty good shape for it's age and does not leak. I have been looking for a replacement tank, but so far have not been able to find one that would not drastically reduce my fuel capacity. Any suggestions on this dilema will be greatly appreciated.

Bow Tie Omega
    How about a polypropellene ( I think that is the speeling) tank up front. They make them in every size and shape and are legal for boat use. Just make sure you have it vented and secured. Good luck...Joe

JayBee
    I know someone who could probably fabricate an aluminum one for you... In the Flowery Branch area....
    Jason

JayBee
    Here is a really strange shaped one I built for one of my car projects:

spectras only
    The fiberglass tanks were made with a fire retardant material back in the 70's 80's , replaced by the plastic ones later. They're all legal. I have fiberglass ones in my 1972 spectra and had them in my 1976 jet as well. Never had condensation or leaking issues ever. Have aluminum tanks in the 19 spectra.

WriedtStuff
    Ok here are some pics....
    One of the OEM Fiberglass tank...
    It measurments are as follows.
    38.5" across the long side
    9.5" tall
    36" front to rear
    13.5" across the front short side
    Now the other 2 pics are of a Metal tank I picked up that measures 36" Long X 12.25" tall x 16.25" wide. As you can see if I could get this tank to go forward about another 6 inches then I think I could make it work.....but right now it is jammed between the top front deck and the bottom hull....I am afraid I will cause undue stress on the hull or top deck if I push it any harder....
    Ideas?
    Thanks

WriedtStuff
    Metal Tank

WriedtStuff
    Different angle

NAMarine
    Unless there is something wrong with your fibreglass tank, put it back in. I am in the middle of the same resto on a 72 Wriedt Spoiler and found my tank to be clean and no damage inside or out. Like spectras only said "They are legal"
    Any more pics of your project and Specs on your ride?

WriedtStuff
    It has been suggested that I abandon the idea of the gas tank in the front and work towards side/saddle tanks. Any opinions or ideas?
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast