Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Onboard Charger / Battery Tender

mbrown2
    Chris, since you have a ton of batteries and don't mind the weight, and are not convinced of the 6 v's, I would drop the weight and go with 1 battery for the boat isolated and two batteries isolated for the stereo...two 8D Lifeline Batteries....look at the specs, but they are also 162lbs apiece...I think Shadow is getting 4-6 hours out of 1....and his system is pretty sick...
    Get a good charger like a guest with three stage smart charge...I would recommend Xantrex, but I have burnt two lately, so f them...

shadow
    4-6 Hrs out of one? All ****ing day and no 6v mess!
    Call Dave at Lifeline (626)969-6886 Tell him Darrell gave you the # from ***boat boards and he will get you a better deal.

al cole'holic
    Originally posted by mbrown2
    Chris, since you have a ton of batteries and don't mind the weight, and are not convinced of the 6 v's, I would drop the weight and go with 1 battery for the boat isolated and two batteries isolated for the stereo...two 8D Lifeline Batteries....look at the specs, but they are also 162lbs apiece...I think Shadow is getting 4-6 hours out of 1....and his system is pretty sick...
    Get a good charger like a guest with three stage smart charge...I would recommend Xantrex, but I have burnt two lately, so f them...
    I remember talking to Shadow a while back and looking into those. Duration isn't a problem, it's the charging. Like I said, all my chargers have been from AutoZone so I've never had a really good charging system established...

Magic34
    I am using a Minnkota charger (installed in boat) for my setup (6V), and no problems yet. I always leave it plugged in while in the garage. The longest I have tried to play my system at once (80% volume+) has been for 3.5 hours so far, and it lasted fine. My system draws about 155-157 amps at peak, and the batteries have been perfect. The true test will come when I go to Havasu in June.

TrojanDan
    Originally posted by Waldo
    I like the sounds of that ProPak system. What did it run you?
    Around $330 for the 4 bank charger (although I am only running 3 batteries). Do a web search since there are a few dealers that sell them. When I called the manufacturer, he wanted to send me to a dealer but ended up selling to me directly anyways. E-mail him if you have any questions. They are pretty quick at responding.

shadow
    Charging is the only issue for me. But at night I always put my boat on the trailer while at the river and just throw my roll around charger up in the boat and charge them at night.With 2 of the lifelines with a full charge you can go all weekend without a charge if you want.Last weekend I cranked mine all day Fri then all day sat and won the stero contest sat afternoon at the Ultra regatta.There were also a couple of other guys with nice systems that deserve some props.

I've used battery tenders for years on all my boats and stored vehicles with excellent results.
    However you must realize that batteries do eventually get old and die, just takes much longer with proper charge. Also is essential to keep proper water level in lead acid batteries even with tender on the water will evaporate if not checked over winter.
    my 02

Havasu Hangin'
    Originally posted by al cole'holic
    Like I said, all my chargers have been from AutoZone so I've never had a really good charging system established...
    I have one of those Autozone chargers...the one I have is not made to be a tender (it will overcharge if left on), so I bought a Guest tender that can be left on indefinately with overcharging.
    Maybe that's why you are killing your batteries.
    The onboard chargers for multiple battery banks is the way to go (like Three Gays Only), as they will not overcharge, and charge each battery individually.
    Doesn't everyone have shorepower?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12