Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Advise

Lickety_Split
    Hello I am new to the jet boating world. I bought a 1975 sleekcraft last summer and i need some advise on what i should do next. The boat has a 455 olds with an american turbine jet. I want some more speed out of it what is the first thing i should do. Should i build more power with the engine our look at modifications to the jet? What mods will give me the most increase for my money. I know alot about engines but i have never worked with a jet before. well thanks for any advise you can give me!

sleekvino
    it all depends on how much cash you can put up you can get headers, loader grates ,diverter, roller rockers the list goes on and on even a ride/shoe plate it just cost the all mighty dollar.

327,jet
    What do you want to acheive for speed ? 5,10,15 M.P.H. more .A Place Diverter is the first step ,then you need to load the pump.A loader grate should help. If you want more R.P.M.'s you will have to swap impeller's .Cam , Intake and more exhaust flow would be next. Be careful not to bump up the 455 without modifying the oil pump system. From what I have learned, this is their weak point. What are you running for a carb and manifold right now?JET ON !!!

Lickety_Split
    Thanks 327,Jet I am running a edelbrock marine carb. 750CFM. the intake is stock.
    It would be cheaper for me to add horsepower to the engine, than the place diverter and loader grate. would that be just a waste without modifiying the jet?

Mr Twister
    You should try out Gun Lake, there are a few jets out there. Bring your mufflers. I think a Place diverter is a wise choice for a first upgrade, after all the mechanicals are sound. Being towed is no fun.

Lickety_Split
    hey mr twister where are you from? I haven't taken my boat to gun lake yet but i would like to the only thing i don't like is how shallow it is. Have you been there? have you had a problem with it being shallow?

American Turbine Man
    Lickety_Split
    I will bet you have a Jacuzzi with an American Turbine "ENERGIZER KIT".
    ATM

Lickety_Split
    Yeah i did some checking and it is a jacuzzi with an American Turbine conversion. What does that mean? What are your opinions of it?

Mr Twister
    Just north of Gun Lake. It is shallow here and there. I do see a few hot boats out there when its warm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast