Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C-500 Oil Leak ?

Tom Foolery
    I have disconnected my prop shaft on the Howard this weekend & I noticed that the v-drive unit appeared to be leaking oil. Since I'm new with v-drives & I don't have the v-drive breakdown in front of me I'll try to explain it the best I can.
    Once I unbolt the prop shaft there is a nut and washer that holds on the flange that the prop shaft bolts up to. This flange slides over the spline coming out of the v-drive. It appears that oil is leaking out past the washer & nut that hold the flange on spline. It makes sense that the spline would have oil on it from the v-drive but it appears that the only means of sealing the oil in the unit is the washer. It looks like someone had tried to use silicone to seal around the washer in the past but I'm not sure if this was just a bandaid on a bigger problem.
    There is another piece which bolts to the v-drive case that has a seal to keep oil from leaking & this seems to be sealing well.
    Does this sound right?

Big Mac
    Tom: If the V-drive is OVER FILLED it will leak there. Is the a dip stick on the vee drive? It doesn't hold alot of gear oil. Big Mac

Tom Foolery
    That would be interesting if it was over filled & there is no dipstick.
    I was going to change the oil in the unit last week. When I took the fill and drain plug out I was expecting oil to flow out of the drain plug, however nothing came out. I assumed that the v-drive had leaked and was now out of oil. Now the drain plug is not at the very bottom of the C-500 but it is fairly low.
    If it is indeed overfilled then how do you drain the v-drive?

Jordy
    Looking at the box from the back of the boat forward (looking at the shaft side of it) there is a plug on the right hand side 1/3 of the way up or so. This is the level indicator plug. You want to pull it out and pour the oil in until it runs out that hole (much like a CR250). As far as draining it, I'm not sure as mine drained itself. It seems to me that there are lip seals that run around the shafts because I got some back in my bag of destroyed bearings, gears and other parts and pieces.

Tom Foolery
    Ok that level indicator plug is what I thought was a drain plug. So I guess its a good thing if oil didn't come pouring out of it.
    But on the front of the case on the left hand side (looking toward the back of the boat) there is a plug on the case that says "oil fill" or something of that nature. It is on the left side 1/3 to 1/2 of the way down. Whats up with that?

Tom Foolery
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...4S_example.JPG
    Ok I circled the plug that I thought was a drain plug. Is this the level Indicator plug you were talking about? ( I know its not the best picture.) If so It looks higher than the prop shaft which would still allow oil to leak out.

Tom Foolery
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...8S_example.JPG
    Ok the bulkhead is in the way but this is the approximate location of the area where I saw the plug marked oil fill.

Tom Foolery
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...00_example.JPG
    Location of where oil appears to be leaking from.

Jordy
    I don't remember the level plug being that high up on mine. It seems to me (and I'm a little fuzzy still from the weekend) that it's down below the fins that stick out further and go to the mounts. Like mid prop shaft level. It's a 3/8 plug that is a square drive.
    As far as the oil leak, it's coming out of the prop shaft flange or is it running down the shaft and getting on the bottom of the coupler and just being flung everywhere?

DOHARA
    Tom, it's off the subject but you should of snapt a few shots of that power plant while you had the camera out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast